First Impression, First Bugs

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Art

Re: First Impression, First Bugs

Unread post by Art »

I’m missing some of my own posts here, that you seem to have replied to.

I imagine you can’t just copy the JNX files from one SD card for the 64 straight to the 66. I didn’t even try.
They are all still in Basecamp, and sent to the 66st with Basecamp again, and they do display fine at high zoom
when less tiles would have to be accessed for any particular render. It’s only at low zoom it crashes.
They probably need to turn it off for a a couple of extra zoom levels.

The reason I’m not too interested is because it’s likely I’ll stick to the 64st.
I don’t like the size of there 66 for starters. The fact that it has no slip case (or it would only be larger),
and I seriously doubt they can fit a QFH antenna for 2.x Ghz in there.

For every other 60 series model, the QFH antenna has been a selling point, which is omitted in Garmin’s specs for the 66
unless you have seen some page of Garmin’s that I haven’t.
Most review pages hav copied the same specs, but I suspect they have all just copied somebody's original assumption.
WinfredRoy

Unread post by WinfredRoy »

Could that be true? How do we verify if the info that's going around is true specs or an assumption?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Baby steps, give me a little more time. This website is a labor of love, but I also have a real job to pay for GPSrChive.
Art

Unread post by Art »

It occurs pretty evident to me that a QFH antenna has been a selling point listed in Garmin’s specs for every other iteration of the 60 series until now.
I still have not found any specs of Garmin’s other than “high sensitivity receiver”. Any mention of QFH antenna is only on other sites.

Their usual 18 year old QFH antenna design definitely can’t fit, and there is a flat surface on top of the antenna stub too,
which doesn’t belong there. I’d guess it’s a ceramic, or other antenna, and since there’d be room to spare, some other part
of the actual receiver in there.

Has anyone else tried to navigate to an address using a routable map yet?
You wouldn’t even have to create a route. Just press the find button, and try to find any address.
Mikkyp20

Unread post by Mikkyp20 »

I find your comments on the antenna interesting.
I have an Oregon 650; a GPSMAP 64s, and recently got a GPSMAP 66s.
I have put all 3 together on a table inside my lounge, and set them on to the satellite screen, after approx. 15 minutes after they have all logged on and settled down the accuracy shown on the screens are.
O650 around 25m
GPSMAP 64s 15m
GPSMAP 66s 10m
These readings are taken approx. 2m from the closest window. Shifting the units to another location the accuracy numbers are different, but the order of accuracy remains least accurate O650, most accurate GPSMAP 66s.
Has anyone else tried this?

Regarding navigating to an address, I have never had any success with the O650, and only sometimes with the GPSMAP 64s, but with the GPSMAP 66s I have found 3 different addresses in a row all using the same routable map. I this case from the OpenMTBmap.org web site.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Art wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 am It occurs pretty evident to me that a QFH antenna has been a selling point listed in Garmin’s specs for every other iteration of the 60 series until now.
I still have not found any specs of Garmin’s other than “high sensitivity receiver”. Any mention of QFH antenna is only on other sites.

Their usual 18 year old QFH antenna design definitely can’t fit, and there is a flat surface on top of the antenna stub too,
which doesn’t belong there. I’d guess it’s a ceramic, or other antenna, and since there’d be room to spare, some other part
of the actual receiver in there.
You Guessed Wrong!

Check the Specifications Page for more info....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

WinfredRoy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am Could that be true? How do we verify if the info that's going around is true specs or an assumption?
Specifications Page here at GPSrChive now has irrefutable evidence of the QFH Antenna in the GPSMAP 66 series.
Art

Unread post by Art »

Well I’m glad to be shown wrong! Not that I ever asserted it for certain.
Where did you get the PCB pic? I con’t find it with Google.

In any case Mikky, it wasn’t a question of accuracy, but of sensitivity.
which would be roughly compared by looking at individual signal strength indicators for each satellite in use,
where each receiver has roughly the same view of the sky.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”