66 st cannot connect to Birdseye server

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 66 st cannot connect to Birdseye server

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, the GPSMAP 66s/st are identical hardware, with the 'st' version having pre-loaded Topo 100K maps, which use about 3GB of space.

When you receive your 66s with an additional Topo 100K microSD card, you will have essentially the same thing, but the map card will not be 32GB in total size (the maximum size the GPSMAP 66 can accept), so you will only have the remaining space on that card to load additional data.

I would be interested to know what size map card the Topo 100k ships on.
DDM

Unread post by DDM »

Bought the topomap Europe separately.... be carefull no free update included (in ST it is included)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That is also correct.

In most cases:
  • Preloaded maps receive free updates.
  • Maps purchased separately do not receive free updates.
DDM

Unread post by DDM »

Hello,
When i bought the topomap it was only availible by download.... so you can use a 32GB card or eventually place it on the 66
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, you can install downloaded maps to either a microSD card of your choice or the GPSr internal memory.

However, they are sending him a preloaded Map card, of which I suspect the total size will likely be 4GB or 8GB. After a >3GB Map is installed, that leaves very little space for additional data. And that map can not be moved, it will be locked to the card. And when the card fails, you lose the map.
mach16lt

Unread post by mach16lt »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:42 pm However, they are sending him a preloaded Map card, of which I suspect the total size will likely be 4GB or 8GB. After a >3GB Map is installed, that leaves very little space for additional data. And that map can not be moved, it will be locked to the card. And when the card fails, you lose the map.
Thats stupid. Didn't realize maps cant be removed from the card.

Either way, I dont intend to actually use the Garmin 100K topo. It's not routable and is less detailed that the free open source topo maps out there. http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

I had this running on the 66st and it was great. Searching for an address was very dodgey, but if I had pre-loaded locations, even road navigation was quite good.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mach16lt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm Thats stupid. Didn't realize maps cant be removed from the card.
This is not stupid.

This is how Garmin protect their map content from unauthorized duplication.

More details can be found on the Maps page at both:

GPSrChive > GPSMAP > GPSMAP 66

and

GPSrChive > How To...

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”