Using IQ Apps on a Map66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Iamnotanumber

Using IQ Apps on a Map66s

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

I have been experimenting with Komoot and Wikilocs Apps on my Map66s. A weird thing I have noticed with Komoot is that if I download a route it appears in my saved GPX track files on the Map66 but does not show up if I plug the unit into basecamp?

The same does not happen with Wikiloc files. Does anyone know why Komoot files might not show up on Basecamp? I assume they are standard GPX files?
:?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Using IQ Apps on a Map66s

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I do not use Komoot, so I do not have any GPX files to compare, but I suspect there may be an issue with how they are formatted that prevents BaseCamp from displaying them. BaseCamp is very particular about GPX formatting guidelines.

If you want to send some example GPX files from Komoot and Wikiloc for comparison we would be happy to have a look.

webmaster at GPSrChive dot com
Iamnotanumber

Many thanks i am happy to do so but the odd thing is that if i try reading it directly from the GPS it doesn't show in Basecamp but if i download it first to the PC then transfer it in to Basecamp it does?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Reading a GPX file from a GPSR connected via USB and importing a GPX file from your computer are two very different actions for BaseCamp to perform. When reading from the GPSr, BaseCamp can not make any changes to the data, and must read it exactly as is on the device, where as when you import a GPX file into BaseCamp, it is 'processed' to work within the confines of BaseCamp database requirements.
Iamnotanumber

Ok many thanks. It is not showstopper for me anyway as in truth i am unlikely to use Kamoot anyway as i prefer to download or create gpx files myself using other mapping software and then load them to the gps directly or via basecamp.

Also I think the subscriptions on offer are far from competitive
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I very much like Wikiloc, but your mileage may vary!

8^)
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 pm I very much like Wikiloc, but your mileage may vary!

8^)
Funny, I just looked at that site this morning and wondered if it was worth exploring further. You read my mind and answered my question before I even thought to ask it! GPSrChive is not only the best resource for us Garmin handheld users, but clairvoyant also! :lol:
Iamnotanumber

no I agree. Wikilocs seems pretty good
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We all have to remember they are all the sum of their users, so none are better or worse than the user supplying them with content. One solution may better serve a percentage of users while another is preferred by others.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”