GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.80

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
AndyJ

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.80

Unread post by AndyJ »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:51 pm @AndyJ - You may need to contact Garmin Support for further assistance.
Thanks... I contacted support, and they had me try everything again (delete gupdate file, etc.) with the same results of hanging at "Software Loading." The support rep checked and there's already an engineering ticket open for other folks experiencing the same issue, so it looks like the 4.80 update is problematic with some devices. So, he told me just to hold off on the update for now and they'll email me when they have a solution.
Last edited by AndyJ on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for the update!

Seems the 4.80 fix for 4.70 will require a 4.90 (or higher) fix as well!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

beedaddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 pm So now it would be interesting for me to know whether I'm the only one with the broken MTP mode. :?
Before 4.80 (or at least before 4.70), MTP worked without any problem.
MTP works properly on my GPSMAP 66st v4.80 when connected to a WIN10 computer.
beedaddy

Unread post by beedaddy »

Just tried: I do have the same MTP issue with my virtual Windows 10 machine. With Spanner, it works with the VM, too. But with MTP I guess the 66s shuts off before the OS can even "see" it.
paulxtr

Unread post by paulxtr »

I noticed a new bug (number 94) on the Common Issues page relating to the backlight brightness level at 10% being the same as 0% on firmware 4.80.

I tested my 66s running firmware 4.80 and the 10% backlight level is OK, i.e. brighter than the NV setting and dimmer than the 20% setting, so it doesn't seem to affect all units.

Unread post by 987 »

Neither can i reproduce Bug 94. Light levels works fine with 4.80.
Overall since 4.70 i have a feeling that the search is slightly better than with 4.20 and earlier software. Search feels a bit faster and it can find places and points of interest which were almost impossible to find with earlier versions (the device just searched and never got ready).
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

GPSMAP 66st downloaded the 4.80 through wifi and suggested update -> OK and then froze for several minutes saying "Software loading". From here it's only possible to continue, if you take batteries off. The result was same even if let the device update for several hours.

Got the device returned to 4.20 through RGN Firmware Install procedure. Garmin Express offers 4.80, loads it, suggest to remove cable and follow instructions on device -> Nothing actually happens.

RGN update for 4.80 leaves all the maps etc. off and I can't get any language files. Whole lot of mess, so it seems to be wise to just wait for something like 4.9 to fix the issue.

(just joined, great forum, been looking for something like this for ages..)
Last edited by SFP on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyJ

Unread post by AndyJ »

SFP wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:33 am GPSMAP 66st downloaded the 4.80 through wifi and suggested update -> OK and then froze for several minutes saying "Software loading". From here it's only possible to continue, if you take batteries off. The result was same even if let the device update for several hours.
A few posts back in this thread (on Oct 1st), I mentioned having the exact same issue when updating to 4.80 from 4.20. Garmin support ultimately told me that there was already an engineering ticket open, and not to attempt updating again until they inform me a solution has been found. So, you're not alone with this problem ;)
Tufty

Unread post by Tufty »

Yesterday I did what seems like a fatal mistake in that I said YES to the query Did I want to update the latest software.

I went from Ver 4.20 to 4.80. Now when I power the 66st on, it displays the Garmin logo faintly and then brightens up. That's OK so far. The next screen shows the logo with lines of text at the bottom in small print. The first line says GPSMAP 66ST, the second line says Copyright 2018, with the 3rd line says Garmin Ltd or its subsidiaries and that is where is locks up. The only way to restart is to take the batteries out but the screen takes about 5 minutes to fade out.

I have tried doing a Master Reset with no difference a couple of times along with removing the batteries. It did ask if I wanted to erase the data and said yes but then locked up.

Now I have connected it to the laptop. It powered up to the screen I described above but it did display the dialog box Saving all waypoints, routes,and trip log etc with it locking up when it was 1% complete.

What other things can I try to make it work and even to go back to Ver 4.20, that is, even it could connect to the laptop?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

See Forced RGN installation from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Firmware page for help installing an older firmware version.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”