Current position in UTM format ??

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Saddletramp

Current position in UTM format ??

Unread post by Saddletramp »

Hi all,

I have my position format set for UTM but see no option on any of the screens that shows current position. The only options I see for data fields is to show UTM position at destination. I was always able to show current positon in my previous Garmin devices. Am I missing something or is that functionality just not in this device?

I want to be able to look at a data field in either map, compass, or computer screens that shows current position in UTM. Any suggestions?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Current position in UTM format ??

Unread post by GPSrChive »

1. Configure GPSMAP 66 > Setup > Position Format > UTM

Please see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup > Position Format

2. Enable data fields in Compass, Map, or Trip Computer pages as desired to display 'Location (selected)'.

Please see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Data Fields > Location (selected)
Saddletramp

Thanks for the reply. I have already done that but what I am looking for is Location (Current). My old 76Cx give two options- one for Location (Selected) which gives the UTM coordinates for the destination point, and the other option is Location (Lat/Long) which is the current location of the device. That is the option that I am looking for but does not seem to be available in the 66S.

Any other suggestions?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If you read the pages I suggested above, you will find that....

The data field 'Location (selected)' displays the current position using the selected position format setting.

NOT the destination.

'Location (selected)' is the same as 'Location (current)'.
Saddletramp

I just checked my device with known starting point (my house) and a selected known UTM destination. When I look at the screen, the title says "location at destination". The UTM number on the screen is that of my destination waypoint, not my current position. It seems that I do not have the option for current location position on the 66S.

I have found a work-around though. I can just push the mark button which shows the current position, and then not bother to save the point. By doing that I can see my current UTM position. Odd that the new device does not give the option to use current position as one of the options in the data table change windows.

RJ
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have twice informed you of which data field you need to use to see your current location in the desired coordinate system.

Why do you not enable that data field?
Saddletramp

Not trying to be argumentative. Just looking to solve this. Might be a communication issue. I do not see an option for location (selected) in my data field options for computer screen. I only see Location of Destination as an option. Specifically when at the computer screen I select:
1. Change data fields, then I scroll down to the field.
2. Click on the field which brings up all the categories
3. I select Navigation, then scroll down the list.
4. Only option that comes up regarding location is Location of Dest.

What the heck am I missing?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

At step 3, select either 'Current Status' or 'All Categories'.

The page suggested earlier explains that these are the only data field categories that include the 'Location (selected)' data field option.
Saddletramp

Bingo! That worked! Thank you very much. First time I went in to that menu selection.

Now, what page are you referring to. The only documentation I have is the quick start manual (8 pages) and the 66S manual that I downloaded that has 16 pages. Neither of them has the "Operation" section you mentioned.

I am new to the forum so please have some patience and point me to the document that I should have. Thanks in advance.

RJ
GPSrChive
Site Admin

From my first response:

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Data Fields

Also available via:

GPSrChive > How To... > Data Fields

Sounds like you haven't been to GPSrChive yet?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”