GPSMAP 66 is Non-Functional After firmware 4.70 Update

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
CheminerWill

GPSMAP 66 is Non-Functional After firmware 4.70 Update

Unread post by CheminerWill »

So I updated yesterday seemingly successfully. I did connect the unit to the computer after the update and transferred a ggz file from GSAK successfully. I then disconnected and started the unit up OK. So all seemed good for that first boot up at least. Today when I went to start it up, it froze on the Garmin copyright screen. I waited about 30 minutes and it just stayed there. I removed the batteries at that point. I tried again and the same thing happened. So once again removed the batteries and this time also removed the 32GB card in case that was the issue. Turned it on with the same result.

I just connected to the computer to see if I could get into in that way and it freezes on the screen that says: "Saving all waypoints, routes and trip log information in GPX format. 1% complete."

Any suggestions for anything to try next?
CheminerWill

Re: GPSMAP 66 is Non-Functional After firmware 4.70 Update

Update: I made several unsuccessful attempts to reset the device holding the page and enter buttons when powering on, (it just tried to power on and froze at the copyright screen like the previous power on attempts. Finally one reset try got me to the screen where it asks if you want to continue. I managed to choose erase and enter and it went to the screen saying: "Restoring settings and activities to defaults". It then froze at 0% Complete.

I am fearful the unit is dead. :(

And just for clarification on the original post, the ggz file was put on the card, not the internal memory so I don't think it is related to that.
sammyB

Unread post by sammyB »

Hej, i have exact de the same probleem.
GE says no update ,so i disconnect,en there was an update installed!!!
odsweng

Unread post by odsweng »

Hi CheminerWill,

How large is the ggz file you added to the unit? If this contains a large geocache database, the unit may not actually be frozen, but rather processing all the data in the file. The Erase option would not delete this file, which is why the unit still booted slowly after you tried this step.

I would recommend connecting to a computer and removing the .ggz file, then disconnecting and booting the unit. Once it's booted successfully once, then reinstall the .ggx file and let it sit while it processes this.

We have identified an issue with our 4.70 update that is interfering with reading SD cards, and we are working on a fix for this. However, this issue simply prevents the card from reading properly and does not result in any data deletion or corruption. So I would also recommend keeping the SD card removed while you work to recover your device.

If you continue to have issues, please feel free to email my team at outdoor.beta@garmin.com. I can offer other troubleshooting suggestions, or I can get you in contact with someone at Product Support who can provide further assistance.

Thanks,
Mel
Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team
CheminerWill

Mel - As posted above, the ggz file was on the card, not the unit and I removed the card. Also as I said, connecting to the computer, the unit freezes also. I will contact support.
beedaddy

Unread post by beedaddy »

Same problem here but without using any .ggz file. The update process went through without any problem and everything was ok. Then I updated live geocaching data and powered the device off. Today I tried to so some geocaching but the device is stuck at the boot process. When I attach it to the PC it shows the message, that it saves waypoints and so on in gpx format and is stuck at 1%. It's impossible to access the file system. :?
sammyB

Unread post by sammyB »

I tried to download to 4.20 but this didn't work either
I had also an expert looking into it,and he says that de file GarminDevice.xml is missing
CheminerWill

I contacted support and they are sending a refurbished replacement so I am happy about that. BUT, there is a big issue.

Too many details to post here, but in brief, Garmin says if you have updated to 4.7, do not put any geocaches on your 66 unless you first transfer the file of geocaches to your computer desktop. Then import that file of caches into Basecamp and then use "SendTo" in Basecamp to send the caches to the internal memory of the 66. Anything else has the potential to brick the device.

Specifically they said do not use GSAK to put files on the 66.

I will post this on the GSAK site also, but for now I would think if you have not updated to 4.7 yet, wait?
CheminerWill

beedaddy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:51 pm Same problem here but without using any .ggz file. The update process went through without any problem and everything was ok. Then I updated live geocaching data and powered the device off. Today I tried to so some geocaching but the device is stuck at the boot process. When I attach it to the PC it shows the message, that it saves waypoints and so on in gpx format and is stuck at 1%. It's impossible to access the file system. :?
So you did nothing with GSAK? Just used Live? That would indicate that Garmin is going down a wrong rabbit hole thinking it is somehow related only to GSAK.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Those 'support personnel' are very misinformed to say the least.

It is well known that geocaches loaded to any Garmin GPSr via BaseCamp commonly have multiple issues. We strongly urge users to NOT DO THIS. BaseCamp has a horrible track record for geocache database work.

Loading geocaches directly from groundspeak to your Garmin GPSr is perfectly safe, and even from GSAK it works most of the time. Only when users get over zealous about tweaking their exports do they sometimes run into issues, and usually that can be traced to alpha-numeric characters the GPSr does not recognize.

Your device likely did not need to be replaced, but you will have a fresh unit to start over with this time.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”