4.70 Firmware and Proximity Alarms

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
CheminerWill

4.70 Firmware and Proximity Alarms

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I installed the 4.70 update this morning. I will hopefully test this new feature tomorrow. For now I have toggled on the Geocaching Proximity Alarm switch, setting the distance to 500 feet. Is this all I need to do or is there anything else? Now I should expect any time I approach within 500' of a cache, my unit should alert me?

On another note, what about points other than geocaches? Will it or can it also now alert anytime I get within 500' of other waypoints or POIs? Like child, parking, user created, etc.?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 4.70 Firmware and Proximity Alarms

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, with your GPSMAP 66 configured for 500 feet, any time you are within 500 feet of any geocache 'in the active geocache filter', you will get an alert!

Remember, in areas densely populated with geocaches, the minimum distance between each physical geocache is 520 feet, and after applying the GPS accuracy error of your device, '500 feet' may result in very frequent alerts!

We have only tested with the actual Geocaches, and do not expect child waypoints or other waypoints to alert based on this setting. However, you can manually add proximity alerts to any waypoint loaded. Easiest workflow here would be to select the current child waypoint from the Geocache menu, begin navigation, and then open waypoint menu and add a proximity alert as desired, when desired.
CheminerWill

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 pm 'in the active geocache filter',
I don't think I understand what this limitation means?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

It means if you enable a geocache filter, only the geocaches in that filter will alert when the geocache proximity alert is enabled.

For example, if you enable a geocache filter for multi-caches only, with a proximity alarm set to 500 feet, and then walk within 200 feet of a traditional geocache, the geocache alarm is not going to alert.
CheminerWill

Ah, got it. If no filters enabled, then every geocache I wander near will announce its presence. Sounds perfect!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We are looking forward to your review!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”