Route calculation error on some maps

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Route calculation error on some maps

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st software 4.20, GPS 2.80.

On some maps which are for sure routable, when selecting a location to route to (often a far away location, more than a few 100 km) i get a "route calculation error".
Sometimes it says nothing more, sometimes there is some additional message such as there are no routeble roads (or similar) in the map area.
Locations not far away often calculate just good.

I have noticed that this occurs on many different maps, to mention a few: opentopomap, userbeam, alternativaslibres.
I have not experienced it from the garmin.openstreetmap.nl maps.

I also notices that maps with such issues tend to have a disconnect in map sections, pictures attached. One can see white lines where only the background is visible, but no other map data. Examples are from opentopomap maps. The disconnect on the pictures is taken on water because they are easier to spot.
916_missing_map_data.png
965_missing_map_data.png
Do you believe that the observation is correct, that there is a map generation issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asprin624

Re: Route calculation error on some maps

Unread post by asprin624 »

I would contact the list of maps you are referring to. Each has there contact point to ask questions in regards to the routing capably of these maps. I do not think it is a fault of the 66 that the maps can not handle a couple 100 KM of routing.

If I ready need good capability for routing long distances then these maps would work a lot better.

Garmin Topo Active PowerSports Europe 2020.10
OR
Garmin City Navigator Europe 2021.10 NT

Or what ever area you need in maps.

I thing Free open maps are good for lots of things but would not bank on them getting me to a location very far away.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As a map creator myself, I agree with asprin264 that those 'glitches' appear to be an issue with the map itself, not the device.

Unread post by 987 »

Thanks for all replies. Seams like you have the same thoughts as myself. I have contacted some of the map makers.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”