Beginner problem

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Philq

Beginner problem

Unread post by Philq »

So I’ve just bought a GPSMAP 66 and installed a UK freizeitkarte map on a micro SD card. If I mark a waypoint and ask it to navigate to it I get very efficient turn by turn directions.

However if I select a route that I’ve imported (and I’ve tried with both WIkiloc and Ridewithgps) the route appears on the map but there are no turn by turn directions. I guess that I’m making a beginner error, any suggestions? Thank you
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Beginner problem

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Are you selecting Find > Routes > {desired route} > Go?
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. What should it then do after doing I select "go"? I have a Garmin 800 which I use on my bike which "reacts" in a more obvious way that it's starting navigation. The GPSMAP66 doesn't seem to do so.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Are you near the route when you select 'Go'? How close? What is your routing method for the active profile?
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

I've tried at and at varying distances to the route start. I've also tried hiking, pedestrian walking, tour cycling and even automotive with the same result or lack thereof. Hence why I'm puzzled.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Not a quick easy task, but maybe you can make some videos of what you are experiencing so we can see with our own eyes...

Also, please email any GPX routes that are giving you trouble to webmaster@gpsrchive.com so we can look at them.

Also, if you create a quick basic route directly on the device, does it work properly?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Just re-read your original post.

The reason you are not getting turn-by-turn directions is because the files you are downloading are TRACKS, not ROUTES.

Tracks do not provide turn by turn directions.
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

Ah that makes sense, how then do I save (or send it) a gpx file and so that it will use it as aroute?

Thanks again
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You may want to do some reading at the following pages to better understand the differences between tracks and routes:

GPSrChive > How To... > Tracklog
GPSrChive > How To... > Routes

Tracks and Routes may look very similar on the GPSr map page, but they operate very differently.

Essentially, a Tracklog is a breadcrumb trail of where you have been and a Route is a list of points that are navigated in a specific order.

While there are no methods to convert one to the other on the GPSr, you can convert tracks to routes in BaseCamp.

See GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Tracks > Convert Track to Route for additional information.
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

Thank you once more.

I've done the reading that you suggested! I've now used basecamp to convert tracks to routes and they work as they should. Is there no way though of directly importing a gpx file as a route from Ridewithgps to the unit (as I do with my Garmin 800) or will I always have to convert them via basecamp?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”