Expedition Mode

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
asprin624

Expedition Mode

Unread post by asprin624 »

You can not use Expedition Mode with Proximity Alarms.
I have been trying to use Expedition Mode with Proximity Alarms while Geocaching.
It does not work I have to keep waking up out of Expedition Mode to see how close I am to a Geocache.

So you can not save on your battery while being out the whole day doing Geocaching.
What Expedition Mode turns out to be is a very expanses tracker.
If you can not save on battery while Geocaching what is the point to put it in Expedition Mode and not get any Proximity Alarms?????

I think if the 66 can track in Expedition Mode it should also be able to to give you Proximity Alarms......
Then you would only need to wake up the 66 to see at what point to start looking for a cache and that would be a true battery saver.
As it stands the 66 is down to just one point on the gauge after 4 hours of Geocaching because you have to wake up the 66 all the time.

I do not see why Garmin can not add this to the firmware even if it means having to use a little more power.

Here is the email from Garmin.

While in Expedition Mode, the device goes into a low-power sleep between periods that it wakes up long enough to record a track point. While in 'expedition sleep mode' all functions of the device are suspended to conserve battery power.

I would suggest turning off Expedition Mode if you are using Proximity Alarms.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Chris
Product Support

Garmin International
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Expedition Mode

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Expedition Mode has a very specific purpose, and as Garmin states, proximity alarms is not one of them.

Using 'Setup > Display > Battery Save' mode should allow you to conserve battery power while geocaching with proximity alerts still working.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I have already turned off Expedition Mode.

Screen saver does the same thing and turns off the screen.....

So what good is the Expedition Mode???
Key Features of Expedition Mode:

The screen will power off - Tap the Power button to use as normal
Track points are dropped via a smart recording mode that will determine the best interval to log based off of movement and other factors
Track log detail will be reduced when the setting is enabled and you have will last longer (approximately 170 hours).
It is easier just to turn of 66 at the end of a tour that day.
Seeing that you can charge the 66 or have spare batteries to change too.

Plus you can not use it with these items too.
Bluetooth connections are disabled while in Expedition Mode
ANT + connections to Heart Rate monitors or other sensors are disabled while in Expedition Mode

Why even have a Bluetooth connection or Heart Rate Monitor with you if they will not work in Expedition Mode

Don't get me wrong it is a great unit but for a high end GPS it should give you a sound when near a location you told it to go to.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Expedition Mode was created primarily for users who spend days at a time off grid and want to extend battery life to record their entire journey at diminished detail.

Expedition Mode disables all GPSr functions and enters a sleep mode similar to being powered off, intermittently waking itself long enough to obtain only a 3D satellite position lock and recording a new track point before resuming Expedition Mode (returning to sleep mode).

While using Expedition Mode, the user has the option to 'wake' the GPSr at any time to access full GPSr functionality as desired or needed.

You can not have your cake and eat it too. There is no magic. If you want extended battery life, you have to give up some functionality.

If you need proximity alerts to warn you when approaching specific locations, Expedition Mode is not a viable option for you.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

FWIW: Maybe I am just lucky with my 66 and the Eneloop rechargeables? Probably the longest outing I have had is 6 or 7 hours so if you are out a lot longer, your mileage may differ.... But, if my batteries start the day fully charged, they easily last the whole time. And that is not only doing some navigating to geocaches, but 100% of the time recording a detailed track. Bluetooth is on also and the unit is connected to my phone. I have been happy with battery life and have not needed to use expedition mode. If I was going to be off grid for a few days, and wanted to record all day and did not bring a couple extra sets of charged batteries, I might need expedition mode but so far have not.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”