issue with Recording controls - Elap. act. time [Bug 81]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

issue with Recording controls - Elap. act. time [Bug 81]

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
GPSMAP 66st software 4.10 gps 2.70.

An issue observed with the recording controls and elap. act. time.
It gets skewed in case clock get skewed after GPS is without power for some time.
It such cases it does not show the time since reset, nor time which the GPS was on.

How to reproduce it.

Have the unit turned on with GPS signal, check that the date and time is correct. Take a note of the time of day.

Go to recoding control, reset trip and activity meters.

Note on the info page (in recording controls) that the time start to count from zero.

Shut down the unit and remove the batteries.

Wait at least 30-120 minutes to make sure that all power is lost, and the unit therefor forgets the date and time.

insert the batteries.

If possible, power on the unit in a location where the GPS signal is poor. (indoors, basement, or similar)
(it is not needed, but will help in seeing the issue).
While GPS position is not fixed, note that the time of day is incorrect.
If the time is not incorrect during the time GPS signal is not yet found, the batteries were removed too short, start over again and remove batteries for a longer duration.

Go to recording controls and note that Time and Elap act time both still show some minute. Almost the same time they showed when the GPS unit was turned off.

Now move to a location where the GPS signal is good.

When signal is received and position quivered, note that the time of day will be corrected.

Now go to recoding controls and to the info page.
Note that Elap act time is many hours off. and does not correspond to the actual time passed, nor with the time the unit has been on since the reset of activity and trip.

It is not a very big issue, but annoying and can lead to misjudgement in how long an activity actually was.
I have reported the same to GARMIN, with the same step-by-step guide.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: issue with Recording controls - Elap. act. time [Bug 81]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Posted as Bug 81 on GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues page.

Reported to Garmin.

Unread post by 987 »

A small comment to my first post.
I run the procedure, i needed a bit more than 4 hours without batteries to reproduce the case.
At 14:00 i removed the batteries.
At 18:30 i started again.
Clock started at 06:14 (or close to).
Activity timers showed a few minutes.
GPS got a satellite lock and clock showed 18:36.
At this time, to my surprise the recording control timers still only showed a few minutes.
Stange i thought and turned off and on the unit.
Real time was now 18:40, which the unit showed.
When i entered the recording control this time the Elap. act. time showed 12:36 (hours and minutes), which is the time from 06:14, but not the time from 14:00.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Garmin made me a reply saying that the time is dependent on the satellite signal, and it is best to make sure that one has batteries.
I replied that one may be out of batteries without noticing, or without possibility to change them directly.
From their reply it feels like it wont be any changes for some time... but who knows!?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987, can you please retest this with firmware v470 and report your results? I suspect this issue has been improved or fully resolved.

Unread post by 987 »

I am still in progress of checking.
This far it looks promising.

If i follow step 4 and power off, remove the batteries from the unit and then wait long enough for the device to loose all power;
when inserting batteries and start the unit it seem to remember the time it last had while having power, instead of some random time.
When GPS signal is locked and clock is updated elapsed time shows the total time elapsed correctly.

I have also tried removing the batteries without first power off, to replicate a situation when batteries are run flat.
I unfortunately did not wait long enough for the clock to become skewed (doing a third test now), but i noticed that the elapsed time did not add the hours in which the unit was without the batteries, instead it continues to count only the time the unit had been on.

At least these two results show a much better and predictable display of the Elapsed time.

Will report more later.

Unread post by 987 »

Removing the batteries while the unit is turned on and having the unit without power for long enough time to loose the clock information seems to work in the same way as when first powering off the device. (see one message back). I therefore would say the issue (Bug 81) is resolved.

One observation, not related to the bug is that if the batteries are removed while the device is on, the next time it starts it will re-load all maps, and one have to go to map setup and disable those not used. It happens almost every time.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”