Shuts down when entering Mass Storge Mode

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Shuts down when entering Mass Storge Mode

Unread post by GPSrChive »

steerage250 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am as a fault-finding step, is it safe to use the firmware update procedure to revert back to version 3.1 ?
Yes, but be aware, you will lose most if not all of your settings, and it is recommended to do a hard reset of the device once the older firmware is installed before doing any setup to the device!
steerage250

Unread post by steerage250 »

hmmm that sounds like a lot of hassle for an uncertain outcome - but can you think of anything else I might try? (I can't)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

As you do have one computer the unit work OK with, you could make a full backup of the GPSMAP 66 on that machine (See GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Backup), perform a Master Reset { hold (Page) + (Enter) + cycle (Power) + release (Page) + (Enter) after backlight illuminates } of the device, test USB again for connection to other machines.

If all OK, restore your profiles, maps, GPX files etc from your backup.

Otherwise, load older firmware, upgrade to current firmware, and retest, then restore only necessary files, one or two at a time (checking USB operation each time).
steerage250

Unread post by steerage250 »

well - a good procastination seems to have fixed that problem !

Today, I groaned a bit and thought I'd better have a go at reverting the firmware - but I'll just double-check the problem is still there - and the problem has disappeared! (Connects to 2 out of the 3 problem computers, and I haven't tried the other)

All's well that ends well ????
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good to hear it is working better for you now, but have not the slightest idea why!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”