Search for cities not working [Bug 73] [Crash 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
hangman

Search for cities not working [Bug 73] [Crash 8]

Unread post by hangman »

Hi,

My 66st had a hiccup a couple of weeks ago. It suddenly took a veeeery long time to find it's position, and felt generally slow. After a reboot it was acting normal, except for that it no longer finds a city by (Find -> Cities -> Spell Search).

It does find the nearby cities/places in (Find -> Cities), but not with spelled search. Not even the city I am currently in. As I input the letters, there are no longer suggestions coming up, and when hitting "Done" to search, nothing happens. All I see is the spinning "busy" icon until i press the "Quit" button. The search does not complete even if I wait for an hour.

I my search for a remedy, I have removed the SD card, updated to Software Version 3.40, replaced the maps and done a hard reset. No change at all.

I'm starting to believe that a hard reset is not actually resetting everything, and that I should be looking for some cache file that could be deleted and then rebuilt.

Any ideas? This bug may be minor, but is really bugging me.
robert

Re: Search for cities not working [Bug 73] [Crash 8]

Unread post by robert »

Reproduced fault here on my device:-

1) First time I ran search by name all seemed to work. But scrolling around the list caused the unit to reset
2) Now searching by name just displays blue spinning wheel forever

Sounds like broken/corrupt pointer reference stored in non volatile memory and never reset?
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

I returned the 66st, but I ran into the issue where the unit resets when doing a search. I don't remember if I also saw the forever spinner or not, but it sounds vaguely familiar.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Duplicated and verified.

Also intermittently resulted in a device crash for us.

Posted as Bug 73 and Crash 8 on GPSMAP 66 Common Issues page.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Garmin have requested video showing this behavior.

Please upload to youtube and post link here, or email to webmaster@GPSrChive.com and we will make sure they see it!
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm Garmin have requested video showing this behavior.

Please upload to youtube and post link here, or email to webmaster@GPSrChive.com and we will make sure they see it!
This was really easy for me to reproduce following the steps described. Once the initial crash happens then the second failure mode is a permanent 'feature'. The crash then cannot be reproduced.

Have they even tried to reproduce this?

Are they asking for a video of the crash or of a spinning wheel? Crash won't be possible now on my unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

They have not been able to reproduce.... Although we both were able to crash the device once......
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 am They have not been able to reproduce.... Although we both were able to crash the device once......
Hmm, it was really easy to reproduce initially and the spinning wheel was a permanent feature which stopped Find Cities from being operational. However when I tried to reproduce this today it seems to be working again, and I could not reproduce the crash. Will try again over the next few days.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for your persistence!
hangman

Unread post by hangman »

Hi gpsrchive,

I could make a video of the spinning icon if it's any help. I believe this problem started, just like robert says, with a crash, and after that I just get the spinning icon every time i try the spelled city search.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”