Graphical Display of Loaded Routes & Tracks

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
robert

Graphical Display of Loaded Routes & Tracks

Unread post by robert »

Is there a way to show the currently loaded Routes and/or Tracks on the map display of the 66. The functionality I am looking for is to show the Tracks I have loaded in an area and then select the Track from the map and have the option to start navigating this track. I can't find this but have found this useful on other GPSs.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Graphical Display of Loaded Routes & Tracks

Unread post by GPSrChive »

By default (unless you have changed it), at any given location, the Track Manager will list data by nearest to farthest away.

Selecting any track in the list and opening the Information Tab and then pressing (Menu) provides an option to 'Show On Map'. Enable this option to see the track displayed on the Map screen.

You will have to repeat for each track as desired, and there are limits to the total number of tracks that can be displayed on the map page (memory says about 200).

I suspect you are aware that tracks are not routable, and do not provide turn by turn directions when navigating them?

While BaseCamp has the ability to convert a track to a route for this purpose, Garmin have yet to include this function on the GPSr.
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:53 am By default (unless you have changed it), at any given location, the Track Manager will list data by nearest to farthest away.

Selecting any track in the list and opening the Information Tab and then pressing (Menu) provides an option to 'Show On Map'. Enable this option to see the track displayed on the Map screen.

You will have to repeat for each track as desired, and there are limits to the total number of tracks that can be displayed on the map page (memory says about 200).

I suspect you are aware that tracks are not routable, and do not provide turn by turn directions when navigating them?

While BaseCamp has the ability to convert a track to a route for this purpose, Garmin have yet to include this function on the GPSr.
Thanks for the feedback. I can see I can see each track individually on the map. I was after a feature where all the tracks within range on the map could be displayed. This would become less useful if there were too many to display anyway.

I am not convinced that routing on a device such as this and especially while walking in the hills is a usable or useful option today. I will be using this device for following non routing tracks only. I plan to create tracks in Bascamp and then download to the 66 as needed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Also, if you do run into the track display limit, and want an easier solution to display many tracks at once, you may want to try converting all your tracks into one or more *.IMG files that you can enable/disable at will like the other maps on your Garmin GPSr in the Map Setup menu. See the Software page for a link to JavaWa IMGfromGPX.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”