Power Off while in USB Connection

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
robert

Power Off while in USB Connection

Unread post by robert »

I am experiencing an issue whereby the 66 will power off while trying to install maps from Mapinstall. MapInstall initially finds the unit but the 66 powers off after about 5 mins while waiting for Mapinstall to build its indexes

Battery Save On or Off makes no difference
Expedition Mode On or Off makes no difference

Any ideas
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Power Off while in USB Connection

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Is it a sudden power off event? Try a different USB cable and/or USB port (preferably not from a hub). I have left my unit connected for 12+ hours and never had it suddenly disconnect and/or power off.
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:55 pm Is it a sudden power off event? Try a different USB cable and/or USB port (preferably not from a hub). I have left my unit connected for 12+ hours and never had it suddenly disconnect and/or power off.
This was from a laptop USB port. However a different port seems to be providing better service at the moment.
robert

Unread post by robert »

robert wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:03 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:55 pm Is it a sudden power off event? Try a different USB cable and/or USB port (preferably not from a hub). I have left my unit connected for 12+ hours and never had it suddenly disconnect and/or power off.
This was from a laptop USB port. However a different port seems to be providing better service at the moment.
Playing around with this I think there is an issue where an unstable USB connection can cause the 66 to power down. But difficult to pin down without a debugging system.
robert

Unread post by robert »

Ah I think I am experiencing the issue described by feature request 5. One more vote for this change please.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”