Settings Saved Under Profiles

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Settings Saved Under Profiles

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do not rest easy because the feature request is listed here... We need EVERYONE to call and email Garmin consistently to get their attention before there is any chance of them considering this (or any other) request!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

g66 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:46 am I have many years of garmin-usage since geko 201 - about a dozen of handheld units, and i cannot remember of any feature update demanded by users.
Maybe read the GPSMAP 66 Common Issues page again? (hint: Feature Request #12) - Oh, and a couple out of nearly a hundred on Montana! 8^)

Yeah, not the greatest odds....
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:50 pm Do not rest easy because the feature request is listed here... We need EVERYONE to call and email Garmin consistently to get their attention before there is any chance of them considering this (or any other) request!
I have already done that. But I thought explaining and having it added to your list could only add weight to a feature that would make this device even better as a tool in the hills for me.
robert

Unread post by robert »

robert wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:39 pm
The following features can be set in the user interface to reduce the power consumption of the device, but the setting is not persisted in the Profile.
  • Turn the Backlight off when not absolutely needed
  • Decrease Backlight Brightness
  • Enable Battery Save Mode
  • Disable Wi-Fi
  • Disable Bluetooth
  • Disable ANT+ Sensors
  • Disable the magnetic compass
  • Disable GLONASS
  • Disable GALILEO
  • Disable WAAS/EGNOS
  • Set Map Orientation to 'North Up', not 'Track Up'
I missed one other feature off which should be included in the Profile
  • Expedition Mode Prompted/Auto/Never
mpistora

Unread post by mpistora »

At GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup, it would be a good idea to distinguish significantly those settings that are not saved to profiles. And somewhere else write them all together.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mpistora wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm At GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup, it would be a good idea to distinguish significantly those settings that are not saved to profiles. And somewhere else write them all together.
This has been on the "To Do" list for some time, but it is a long and tedious process that would have to be done for all devices, and then, the most difficult part is Garmin changes these specifications randomly, from one firmware to the next (without publication), which, unless someone were to retest all Setup items for each firmware, would become a daunting task to keep up with...
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:25 pm
mpistora wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm At GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup, it would be a good idea to distinguish significantly those settings that are not saved to profiles. And somewhere else write them all together.
This has been on the "To Do" list for some time, but it is a long and tedious process that would have to be done for all devices, and then, the most difficult part is Garmin changes these specifications randomly, from one firmware to the next (without publication), which, unless someone were to retest all Setup items for each firmware, would become a daunting task to keep up with...
Garmin really have an ideal opportunity to leverage off a single code base for their products. The functionality and user interface is very similar across all their products. I don't know how they manage their software build process but they really should invest in cross platform automated testing, both at the unit and system level, if they don't already. I am guessing they don't as their software quality does not seem to demonstrate this.

Unread post by 987 »

IN software 4.10 GPS 2.70 is seems that

profile still does not save the GPS settings (GPS, GALILIEO, GLONASS), nor WAAS/EGNOS on/off.

Profiles seems to save power save mode (turns off screen after the time out if on).
Profile saves the logging set up.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, GPS Satellite System settings are Global.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”