Doesn't connect the 66s with your Android(s)? use the previous version of Connect Mobile (4.21)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
evasive

Doesn't connect the 66s with your Android(s)? use the previous version of Connect Mobile (4.21)

Unread post by evasive »

Hi, I had been trying to connect my 66s (v 3.10) via BT with my OnePlus 6T (Android 9 with all updates) and with my Lenovo Tablet (Android 8 also updated) for two days and it was impossible.

The first phase of connection I did and then, when trying to synchronize gave a synchronization error and remained in the state "connecting" as I have seen here:

http://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP% ... ssues.html
4. Frequently, the Bluetooth Setup Status will display 'Connecting...'. indefinitely, requiring the user to either A. Open the Garmin Connect application on the paired Android Device to complete the connection, or B. Delete both devices from each other and repeat the pairing process as new. [210] [250] [280] [290] [300] [310]
After doing all kinds of tests (which I also saw here https://www.gpsrchive.com/Discussion/viewtopic.php?f) I didn't get.

In the end, I got it with a previous version of Connect Mobile, specifically with the 4.21 July 2019, I downloaded it from here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/garmin/ga ... 2-release/ (it's a reliable site in terms of security, but obviously not a direct download of Garmin)

Is APK Mirror reliable? https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestio ... 6xro8u/how Thread in Reddit

I hope it helps and that Garmin corrects this bug in the next version of Connect Mobile.

Greetings
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Doesn't connect the 66s with your Android(s)? use the previous version of Connect Mobile (4.21)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

So, just to clarify, you are having better BT connection success using Garmin Connect 4.21 on you Android device?

If so, I may have to try this solution myself. I have been so frustrated with the bluetooth connection instability on my Galaxy S8 Active.....
luvvinbird

Re: Doesn't connect the 66s with your Android(s)? use the previous version of Connect Mobile (4.21)

Unread post by luvvinbird »

OMG, I can't believe there's a thread about this issue! This is the very problem I've been struggling with all afternoon with my 66s! I hadn't used it since updating the GPS software to 2.70 and, when I tried to use geocaching live, I noticed the Bluetooth icon was flashing. I tried and tried to reconnect and finally packed it in. Once home, I tried again to re-connect Bluetooth. I started from scratch again and again and, in Connect Mobile, added the device again and again but repeatedly failed at SYNC, and skipping sync made no difference, either. My phone is an older Samsung Note 4 and the Connect Mobile app is version 4.22. But now it's working! I don't know what I did, but if it fails again I'll go back to CM 4.21 as noted. I can't believe the number of times I've been let down by this device in many different ways. I'll be in southern California in October and was really hoping to bring it along. But, I'll instead bring my always reliable eTrex 30 which has yet to let me down and has vacationed with me exclusively everywhere over the last several years. Maybe it's just too many Garmin products (or features) pumped out too fast with not enough focus on ensuring reliable functionality. I can imagine that if the GPSMAP 66s was an automobile, I'd be walking a lot.
evasive

Unread post by evasive »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:08 pm So, just to clarify, you are having better BT connection success using Garmin Connect 4.21 on you Android device?

If so, I may have to try this solution myself. I have been so frustrated with the bluetooth connection instability on my Galaxy S8 Active.....
Hi, it's not that I have a better connection, it's that I didn't directly connect. It did the first part of the process, connect, and then stayed in a state of "connecting" and was impossible to use for example Wikilock or Explore or any Bluetooh functionality. Very frustrating truth.

Try as I have done and if you do not go with the 4.21, low version and so on. It's sad but I don't see any other option to use all the GPS functions. I encourage you to comment on Google Play in the Garmin Connect App in the comments.

You will tell me
evasive

Unread post by evasive »

I know and I understand you, I have an eTrex 30 and I lost my 64s and I got frustrated when I just started using my new 66s, I see that Bluetooth does not work (besides seeing that it is impossible to put two small fields on the map above, although that is in another thread of the forum).

It is not acceptable that a new version of a mobile application leaves a product of the same manufacturer unusable. More, when it is supposed to be one of their GPS "star" or more modern.

It is clear that they go very fast and it seems that they put more focus on the Fenix 5 or 6 than on handheld GPS.

I'll be happy if my advice helps. Greetings from Picos de Europa (Northern Spain).
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

After downloading a Wikiloc update I noticed there was no longer a bluetooth connection between my 66s and my android phone. It was easy enough to re-establish the connection. I mention this because a previous "rant" I had about this problem may have had something to do with a Wikiloc update which I had downloaded around that time. The Connect Mobile version in my Samsung is 4.22.1
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We'll have to pay closer attention the next time wikiloc updates! Thanks for the tip!
tomocernec

Unread post by tomocernec »

Hi
My GPSMAP 66s aslo doesnt connect to Connect Mobile (v 4.23.1) any solution?
Please for help
BR Tomy
GPSrChive
Site Admin

tomocernec wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:40 am Hi
Please for help
BR Tomy
Remove device from Garmin Connect, uninstall Garmin Connect, reinstall Garmin Connect, pair device with Garmin Connect.
tomocernec

Unread post by tomocernec »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:07 pm
tomocernec wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:40 am Hi
Please for help
BR Tomy
Remove device from Garmin Connect, uninstall Garmin Connect, reinstall Garmin Connect, pair device with Garmin Connect.
Thanks for help, it works now again

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”