Firmware-Bug:Trip Recording

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Hiker

Firmware-Bug:Trip Recording

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello there, in Setup>Recording>Advanced Setup>Trip Recording there are two alternatives to select between: "During Activity" and "Always". However, my 66 only records tracks or trips during "activities" which logically contradicts the settings. Further settings in this context are: Output Format/ FIT and GPX, GPX Auto Archive/ Daily, Recorded Data Reset/ Prompted. FW 3.0 and 3.1 were the same in this respect. I assume it applies to earlier versions as well.

Garmin will be informed through e-mail as answers on their helpline on different calls were contradicting on the other.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Firmware-Bug:Trip Recording

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If you navigate to the Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup > Trip Recording page here at the GPSMAP 66 wiki, I think you will find the answer you are looking for.
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello admin, many thanks for your response and your hint. Unfortunately I have the impression, that there is a misunderstanding.

As I stated in my previous post, "Trip Recording" yields two alternatives to be chosen between: "During Activities" and "Always". "During activities" in my humble understanding means during activities only, that is, an activity ought to be started. When ticking "Always" I would assume, that no "Activity" is required. As a matter of fact, even when opting for "Always" I do have to start an activity to get a trip recording going. So the above reveals that as to trip recording yes or not, it is irrelevant whether I opt for "During Activities" or "Always". As a consequence "Trip Recording" and its two options could discarded without changing the present situation. Alternatively the firmware should be rewritten such that "Always" means always unconditionally, of course the device powered on and having a fix.

I do hope to have made clear what my complaint is about.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Hiker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:25 pm Hello admin, many thanks for your response and your hint. Unfortunately I have the impression, that there is a misunderstanding.
Yes, there is a misunderstanding!
Hiker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:25 pm As I stated in my previous post, "Trip Recording" yields two alternatives to be chosen between: "During Activities" and "Always". "During activities" in my humble understanding means during activities only, that is, an activity ought to be started. When ticking "Always" I would assume, that no "Activity" is required. As a matter of fact, even when opting for "Always" I do have to start an activity to get a trip recording going. So the above reveals that as to trip recording yes or not, it is irrelevant whether I opt for "During Activities" or "Always". As a consequence "Trip Recording" and its two options could discarded without changing the present situation. Alternatively the firmware should be rewritten such that "Always" means always unconditionally, of course the device powered on and having a fix.
Understood.
Hiker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:25 pm I do hope to have made clear what my complaint is about.
You have.

Did you read the page I suggested in my previous post?

If you did read that page, you would see that these two options are selected to... "Choose when Trip Computer recording is active".

'During Activities' mean the Trip Computer is only accumulating data when an Activity is being recorded. This keeps the Trip Computer data and Track Log data in sync.

'Always' means the Trip Computer is always accumulating data, regardless of Track Log recording status. In this scenario, Trip Computer data and Activity (Track Log) data will not agree.
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello admin, many thanks for your persistence. I indeed read the page after you first referred to it. " … during activities …" I thought would mean an activity started irrespectively of it being paused or collecting data. So the clue is the synchronicity between activity and track with respect to accumulating data data

You possibly haven't heard the cent drop over here (ours are smaller than yours), but you may be assured that I'll go to bed a little bit wiser today.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The origin of this setting being added to newer GPSr was so many users complaining that the Trip Computer statistical data (timers, distances, etc.) did not agree with the data in the 'Current Activity' track log recording.

Garmin determined the best course of action was to include a new option to essentially tie the Trip Computer and Track Log data together, when desired.

I do hope the operation is more clear to you now!

FYI, on all of my units, I use the 'During Activity' option, as I have no reason to want to see different data on my Trip Computer page than I would see in my Track Log recording page.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

After reviewing this thread, we have added additional information to the Recording Setup pages in an attempt to make this function more clear. You may have to 'refresh' your browser to see the changes.

Thank You!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”