Gpsmap 66st Compass calibration failed Please try again

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
scotte

Re: Gpsmap 66st Compass calibration failed Please try again

Unread post by scotte »

For what its worth, I always learned compass calibration should be done outdoors, and never on a concrete slab, or rock like granite - the iron in rebar and rocks can disrupt the local magnetic field a bit. Electrical wiring has a similar impact.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

It seems that compass calibration still fails with the 3rd step, also on my 66s in plain open field without interfering circumstances.
Are there any solution for this? If not, can this put on the list of open issues or reported to Garmin pls?
Bev

Unread post by Bev »

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 78s

I had a lot of trouble calibrating the compass; I literally tried it hundreds of times without success. I also did a hard reset, changed batteries etc etc. Believe me I definitely tried everything possible but to no avail 

I contacted Garmin about it but they didn’t have an answer straight away for the problem. Garmin are normally very reliable with their support but just didn’t have a straight answer this time

However I have now sorted it by doing the following:

Do each step VERY SLOWLY, MUCH slower than you think you should 

There are three steps to go through in calibrating the compass 1) Spinning the whole unit around flat 2) Flipping it over longitudinally and then 3) Flipping it over end to end.  But remember do each step VERY slowly and go to the next step when prompted by the unit 

This solved my issue. I can now calibrate my compass 9 out of 10 attempts 

Please, please do try this method as before I did it this way it was absolutely impossible to calibrate the compass. Believe me this method works and works most of the time. I now don’t worry about compass recalibration when I change the batteries etc

I got extremely worried that I had a defective item but now I’m very very pleased with my GPSMAP 78s as it’s a great unit and I can calibrate the compass with ease!

Hope that helps 

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”