Live-Geocaching: Expected behaviour when updating?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

Live-Geocaching: Expected behaviour when updating?

Unread post by bonstetten »

I have loaded geocaches with gpx-File onto the 66st.
Using live geocaching I expect, that geocaching data are updated (ex. new activities). But this does not happen. Even I logged a cache as found online on the PC (not on the GPS), the cache icon does not change with live geocaching.

Also: Solved Mistery-Caches wich changed coordinates do not appear in the corrected position.
Can anybody confirm that or explain me, how to use the function live-gocaching to be „live“?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Live-Geocaching: Expected behaviour when updating?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The Garmin GPSr is not always connected 'Live' to the geocaching server, updating data endlessly. The Garmin GPSr only updates 'Live' GC data when you request it.

If you have corrected or updated coordinates on GC.com since the last time you loaded them to your GPSr, you will have to load them to the GPSr again to get the most recent information.
bonstetten

To be a little more specific:

1) I'm on the geocaching-menu, on the live-map and select in the menu -> "Download Geocaches".
2) I see the spinning wheel (GPS is connected to my iPhone). It displays also new geocaches on the map. But the solved Mistery-Cache is still on the (origina) position/coordinates. (even I changed them at home on my pc at geocaching.com
3) On the GPS/Live-map I point to the cache, press enter and there are still the "old" information
--> I have to use my iPhone / Geocaching-App to get the changed coordinates from this geocache and enter it manually to my GPS (and in this case in heavy rain, where I do not want to use my iPhone. Thats why I buyed a Garmin :cry: )

What can I do to use "live geocaching" to access "live" geoaching-info? What I did wrong?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

How did you FIRST load the Mystery Cache to the GPSMAP 66?

Any geocache loaded manually will never be updated with GCLive data. This is to preserve/not overwrite any data the user has manually loaded to their GPSr via traditional methods.

Also, when the 'spinning wheel' disappears, the GPSr is not finished downloading geocache data. It has simply loaded 'placeholders' with geocache name, code, and type (sufficient data for displaying on map or list). Additional details are downloaded silently in the background (painfully slowly I might add), thus you may not see new information immediately.
bonstetten

Yes, as explained I load from time to time all Geocaches as GPX of my country on my GPS to be ready for spontaneous excursions, without first download caches.N ot everywhere I've mobile Internet connection....

But I like to have updated "live" data when I'm on location (ex. newest activities / logs or in my example updated coordinates).
And why should the GPS not update old data with newer ones? This is what I understand under "Live".

This weekend I was hiking hours in persistent rain - that's the reason why I wan't to use my GPS and not outtake my iPhone which is stored dry in the backpack, communicating with my GPS.

How are other people using the GPS for Geocaching if you'r outdoor or without internet connections ?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

One of the more efficient methods of using GCLive is to create several 'Lists' or 'PQs' for your Groundspeak account, then sync those with the device when desired.

You may even want to do a specific PQ just for Mystery type Geocaches, which you can selectively sync with your GPSr after updating coordinates, etc.

Keep in mind, any geocaches loaded manually to your GPSr as GPX or GGZ files will not be updated!
bonstetten

I work only with PQ, but i did some automation and load all 40 weekly updated PQ regulary with ICaching and just a few mouse clicks as .GGZ onto the GPS.
I don't wont to think which Caches I want to have with me - I just I load all unfound in my country and start my hike/trip to somewhere.

Therefore "Live geocaching" does not provides, what I personally expected from an "state of the art" device. Perhaps Garmin should have a disclaimer "Live geocaching does not show actualized data if you already have them on your device."

Note: You still (since many devices this is feature request in the community) have no possibility to activate/deactivate or delete .gpx/-.ggz-Files on your device. In my case this could solve the problem (deactivate gpx, Live downloads fresh date).

gpsrchive , thanks for all the answer even for a user like me with unusual requirement at a $450 device.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm One of the more efficient methods of using GCLive is to create several 'Lists' or 'PQs' for your Groundspeak account, then sync those with the device when desired.

You may even want to do a specific PQ just for Mystery type Geocaches, which you can selectively sync with your GPSr after updating coordinates, etc.

Keep in mind, any geocaches loaded manually to your GPSr as GPX or GGZ files will not be updated!
One problem is that you cannot load PQs directly, only Lists. For some reason GroundSpeak has combined lists and PQs together in their apps. When I go to the app on my iphone I see both. On the GPSr for live update, I see both, but not all of them. I with they had given users the ability to load PQs directly.......
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm One problem is that you cannot load PQs directly, only Lists.
I see my PQs on my device and can select them to be loaded, thus, I do not understand your observation. Will need more information....
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:00 am
ivhs72 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm One problem is that you cannot load PQs directly, only Lists.
I see my PQs on my device and can select them to be loaded, thus, I do not understand your observation. Will need more information....
On the geocaching webpage, PQs and Lists are seperate menu items. Pocket queries are available under Premium Features. The section below that is List Management, where user created lists are managed. PQs do not show in that section.

On the 66s, it combines PQs and Lists under Geocaching Live. I can see my PQ for Oregon Cemeteries, as well as my list of Oregon cemeteries I've found. It doesn't distinguish between PQs and Lists. The most obvious answer to that is PQs are only available cachers with Premium Memberships, and Lists can be created by anyone. My problem is that I want to be able to choose between lists and PQs when I update, and there is not way to tell the difference.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”