Suggestion: Geocaching-functionality

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

Suggestion: Geocaching-functionality

Unread post by bonstetten »

Two small suggestions for the GPSMAP 66:
  • If you are not in the naviagion mode, in the Map-Menu, "Geocaching" is available and leads you directly there. But if you are navigating to an Geocache or an other destination, the item is disappeared from the menu. Why? The menu is helpfull, if you want lookup the cache description, hint, etc.
    Because the menu item is not available, I need to switch to the geocaching page. And this leads me to the next point:
  • If I switch to the Geocaching-Page/Menu mostly I end in the "list geocaches" option. I loaded >20'000 caches on my GPS (using GGZ-File). I always has to wait about 10Sec. until the list appears and in this time the device is blocked. This is annoying, especially because I have to wait every time when I enter here, without possibility to cancel
  • Even Garmin increased to number of waypoints, it's a limitation when loading Geocaches with their waypoints in the device. Therefore I have to load only the geocaches as GPX. Ihe Geocsching-waypoins I've to load as POI-File (where no limitation except the memory exists). Hey, is it so difficult handle the waypoints same as geocaches and just limit them bei the available memory?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: Geocaching-functionality

Unread post by GPSrChive »

A. You have just described Missing Feature #4 (Common Issues Page)

B. On my GPSMAP 66, each time the Geocache List Tab is shown, I can simply press Left or Right and (almost) instantly move to the adjoining Tab.

C. I am not a Garmin Software Engineer. If what you suggest were easy, I suspect they would have done so already.
bonstetten

Re: Suggestion: Geocaching-functionality

Unread post by bonstetten »

Thank for the feedback

responding to

B) I also can navigate left / right, but if I'm on the middle (List geocaches), the device is blocked and responses only after about 10 sec when the list of geocaches is shown

c) I know, but perhaps somebody of Garmin is reading here...

If I were Garmin, I would took the list of bugs, missing features, etc. of this very useful website and try to realize/fix whatever possible and the customer satisfaction could increase al lot.
I am an engineer and have been working for more than 25 years in (product) software development for customers. I am more than aware that not everything is always or simply possible. But at the same time I have owned various Garmin GPS for about 15 years and it is incomprehensible to me that errors or missing functions drag on over so many product generations.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”