Navigation on the trail, distance to objective?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
diver110

Navigation on the trail, distance to objective?

Unread post by diver110 »

Garmin has never been known for its user-friendly, intuitive interfaces. So it is always a lengthy process to learn all of the ins and outs. So far, I have not figured out how to get the 66i to tell me how far I have to go on a given hike. On the trip computer, there is a place for distance to where you are going, but I have not figured out how to put a value in that space. Any words of wisdom?
sussamb

Re: Navigation on the trail, distance to objective?

Unread post by sussamb »

The 'Distance to destination' datafield will populate itself once you're navigating to a destination.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As Sussamb correctly states, the Distance to Destination data field will self populate once you begin navigation to your target.

Also, see Operation > Data Fields for a complete list of available data fields, with descriptions and examples for each.
diver110

Thanks for the feedback. So if I understand you correctly, once I put in a route, the trip computer will keep track, as it were. I have struggled to load trails onto the Garmin. A local hiking forum had a route to a particular peak. I tried to load it on the Garmin, without success. Ended up using Wikiloc. Any words of wisdom in this regard?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If you already have a wikiloc account, you should be using the Connect IQ wikiloc app to send tracks directly to your GPSMAP 66. See Pages > Connect IQ for more information.

I do not know what workflow you used when you had trouble loading trails prior, but you can copy any GPX file to the Garmin\GPX directory on either the GPSMAP 66 or installed microSD card.

Do remember, tracklogs are not routable, they will not provide turn by turn directions, you have to follow the track manually.

Routes will provide turn by turn directions.
diver110

gpsrchive wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:12 pm If you already have a wikiloc account, you should be using the Connect IQ wikiloc app to send tracks directly to your GPSMAP 66. See Pages > Connect IQ for more information.

I do not know what workflow you used when you had trouble loading trails prior, but you can copy any GPX file to the Garmin\GPX directory on either the GPSMAP 66 or installed microSD card.

Do remember, tracklogs are not routable, they will not provide turn by turn directions, you have to follow the track manually.

Many thanks, gpsrchive. Forgive my ignorance. If I copy a GPX file to the 66i, where do I find the GPX directory? That may be where I went wrong before. What is the difference between a route and a tracklog?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

diver110 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:12 pm If you already have a wikiloc account, you should be using the Connect IQ wikiloc app to send tracks directly to your GPSMAP 66. See Pages > Connect IQ for more information.

Many thanks, gpsrchive. Forgive my ignorance. If I copy a GPX file to the 66i, where do I find the GPX directory? That may be where I went wrong before. What is the difference between a route and a tracklog?
See highlighted text in prior quote for placement location of GPX files.

Essentially, Tracks are a breadcrumb trail or recording of where you have been, and Routes are a sequence of waypoints to follow, with a start, middle, and end.
diver110

Again, thanks for the feedback. I had previously tried to transfer a route I downloaded from 14er.com to the Garmin GPX file, but it did not work. Hence some of my questions. So after getting the feedback, I tried again, and it worked. Not sure why it did not the first time. They show up in "saved tracks." Most retain the name, but the one for Mt. Spalding just says "track," even though the original file had Mt. Spalding in the name. When this happens, is there any way to change the name on the Garmin? My girlfriend, my Garmin, and I are going hiking tomorrow. We have a route loaded that I got from Wikiloc. Hopefully, it will work.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Track names are defined inside the GPX file (simple xml, can be edited with notepad).

Track name can be edited on GPSr:

Saved Tracks > (Enter) > {select track} > (Enter) > (Menu) > Change Name > (Enter)

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”