Map not refreshing when in Geocache-View [Bug 60]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Svein

Map not refreshing when in Geocache-View [Bug 60]

Unread post by Svein »

Hello,

my GPSMap 66S is having the following issue:

When I'm navigating to a geocache and have the geoache-view in the map options enabled (where it shows the small compass, name of the cache and so on...) the map starts to lag to the point where it does not update when zooming in and out or even manually scrolling with the cursor.
The colored navigation lines on the streets disappear as well. As soon as i choose a different view (for example "None" or "Hight") the problem disappears and i can easily use the map. It refreshes as expected.

Some additional info:
- i'm using OSM-Maps
- The problem seems to have startet with FW 3.00. It stills occurs with the latest FW 3.10

I have already tried the following:
- using a differnt OSM-Map
- reinstalling the OSM-Map
- uninstalling all OSM-Maps and using the Basemap

I have not yet tried a full reset as i would really like this to be the last option.

Sadly in this state, the unit is of little use for me as i primarily use it for geocaching.

Hopefully someone has experienced the same issue or knows a solution.

Should i have not named the menu-options correctly i apologize. I'm translating freely from my language into english.

Thank You
Svein
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map not refreshing when in Geocache-View [Bug 60]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for this post!

I have been troubleshooting this behavior for some time, and am surprised to find it was never added to the Common Issues page (until now, see Bug 60).

Please do this quick and easy test and report your results:
  • Open the Map page with dashboard enabled (Geocache or Satellite seem to be the worst)
  • Press + or - several times to change map zoom level up and down
  • Observe the amount of time required for the Map page to redraw all map elements for each zoom level change
  • Press D-PAD once in any direction (removes dashboard)
  • Press + or - several times to change map zoom level up and down
  • Observe the amount of time required for the Map page to redraw all map elements for each zoom level change
Is the Map page refresh rate noticeably different when the dashboard is displayed vs not displayed?
Omenanraato

Re: Map not refreshing when in Geocache-View [Bug 60]

Unread post by Omenanraato »

My 66sr behaves exactly like that! With the dashboard on, the map may not work at all, or if it does, only for a moment (geocaching dashboard). When the dashboard is turned off, the map works immediately without problems and quickly. I only use it for geocaching, so it must have been a bad purchase, because this is completely unusable like this.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”