Total ascent figures [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
pedigree1

Re: Total ascent figures [Bug 66]

Unread post by pedigree1 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm You can see it near the bayonet locking mechanism after you remove the battery cover.

When storing the GPSr in a clothing pocket that is not sealed from the atmosphere, I can not imagine it having any affect on the barometer.

This is the first time I have heard this theory, and would have to test it independently....
Thanks, I can see it. I have agreed with my support rep that I will do a test hike with the unit on a belt clip or somewhere other than in my pocket and see if that makes a difference. I am sceptical.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

I've raised this issue with Garmin support as well and have sent in files from my 66 and my Vivoactive 3 tracking the same flat walk. My watch would give around 11 ft elevation gain on a flat walk around my neighborhood while the 66 would record several hundred feet gain. The support person said that they could not duplicate the results. I'm on my 4th unit (because they keep replacing them for this and other problems) and each unit has had this same issue. I'm baffled why they can't duplicate the results...
pedigree1

oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm I've raised this issue with Garmin support as well and have sent in files from my 66 and my Vivoactive 3 tracking the same flat walk. My watch would give around 11 ft elevation gain on a flat walk around my neighborhood while the 66 would record several hundred feet gain. The support person said that they could not duplicate the results. I'm on my 4th unit (because they keep replacing them for this and other problems) and each unit has had this same issue. I'm baffled why they can't duplicate the results...
I'm baffled too, especially given that they have at least two (and probably a lot more) support requests describing the same issue. However, given that I have had to repeat myself numerous times to different support staff, they are clearly not communicating with each other. For what its worth, I can duplicate your results!
They have offered to replace my unit pending what happens with my out of pocket test but I am reluctant to replace it when I am convinced that its a software issue. The GPX file has always given an ascent figure close to expected but the fit file is way off. The fit file matches the figures displayed on the unit.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

I've never looked at the difference between my fit and gpx files. The trip computer is way off while recording (which is the most frustrating part.) Is yours as well?
pedigree1

oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm I've never looked at the difference between my fit and gpx files. The trip computer is way off while recording (which is the most frustrating part.) Is yours as well?
Yes, the total ascent in the trip computer is usually about double what it should be.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

pedigree1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 pm The GPX file has always given an ascent figure close to expected but the fit file is way off. The fit file matches the figures displayed on the unit.
This is new information.

And it is a clue that leads me to look at a specific scenario.....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

pedigree1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm Yes, the total ascent in the trip computer is usually about double what it should be.
Can you please share a screenshot of your Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup page?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm I've never looked at the difference between my fit and gpx files. The trip computer is way off while recording (which is the most frustrating part.) Is yours as well?
Can you please share a screenshot of your Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup page?
pedigree1

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm
pedigree1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm Yes, the total ascent in the trip computer is usually about double what it should be.
Gladly, if I could... posting images here is not as straightforward as it might be... Can I send it to you direct?
pedigree1

pedigree1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm
Gladly, if I could... posting images here is not as straightforward as it might be... Can I send it to you direct?
Better still I'll just tell you what my settings are... Output Format: GPX and FIT; GPX Auto Archive: When full; Trip Recording: During activity; Recorded Data Reset: Activity and Trip

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”