Site Admin

Re: Total ascent figures [Bug 66]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you. That theory is out.....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm I've never looked at the difference between my fit and gpx files. The trip computer is way off while recording (which is the most frustrating part.) Is yours as well?
So the issue is with data displayed in the trip computer, not gpx or fit data?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm I've raised this issue with Garmin support as well and have sent in files from my 66 and my Vivoactive 3 tracking the same flat walk. My watch would give around 11 ft elevation gain on a flat walk around my neighborhood while the 66 would record several hundred feet gain. The support person said that they could not duplicate the results. I'm on my 4th unit (because they keep replacing them for this and other problems) and each unit has had this same issue. I'm baffled why they can't duplicate the results...
The excessive elevation gain recorded is in which file?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

pedigree1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 am I record both fit and gpx files and notice that in Garmin Connect these two files give widely different figures; the gpx file being close to expected, the fit being double or greater and matching figures displayed on the unit - with elevation correction disabled in Connect.
So... the gpx file is OK, but the fit file is not, but it matches data displayed on the GPSr? Where on the GPSr?
pedigree1

Unread post by pedigree1 »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:51 am
oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm I've never looked at the difference between my fit and gpx files. The trip computer is way off while recording (which is the most frustrating part.) Is yours as well?
So the issue is with data displayed in the trip computer, not gpx or fit data?
The issue is that the data displayed in the trip computer and in recorded activities is too high (by 50 to 100%). I have always assumed that this is related to the fit / gpx files, especially that in recorded activities which matches the fit file data. However, more info to follow...
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
pedigree1

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:54 am
oldkingog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm I've raised this issue with Garmin support as well and have sent in files from my 66 and my Vivoactive 3 tracking the same flat walk. My watch would give around 11 ft elevation gain on a flat walk around my neighborhood while the 66 would record several hundred feet gain. The support person said that they could not duplicate the results. I'm on my 4th unit (because they keep replacing them for this and other problems) and each unit has had this same issue. I'm baffled why they can't duplicate the results...
The excessive elevation gain recorded is in which file?
I think the poster here is referring to the data displayed on the unit either live data in the trip computer or in recorded activities post event.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
pedigree1

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:59 am
pedigree1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 am I record both fit and gpx files and notice that in Garmin Connect these two files give widely different figures; the gpx file being close to expected, the fit being double or greater and matching figures displayed on the unit - with elevation correction disabled in Connect.
So... the gpx file is OK, but the fit file is not, but it matches data displayed on the GPSr? Where on the GPSr?
Ok, this is complex... In November 2018 there was a difference between the elevation gain displayed in Basecamp and Garmin Connect between the gpx and the fit files. The gpx file would show a gain closest to the expected (given by my route mapping software) and the fit file was way too high. That was with data recorded with GPS software v2.10. Now, with version 3.00 the gpx and fit files in Basecamp show the same elevation but it is too high. In Connect there is still a difference with the gpx being a lower figure closest to expected. Garmin support say that it is inappropriate to look at gpx files in Connect and that since Basecamp is now showing matching data between the two files that issue is solved (their words, not mine). I originally raised the difference between the two file types merely as an indicator / symptom of the exaggerated figures displayed on the unit, however Garmin support lost the thread of this and took the differences to be my only issue and therefore closed the action as solved. They missed the point.
Where on the GPSr? In the trip computer(Total Ascent data field) during a hike and in the Recorded Activities file post hike.
pedigree1

In addition to the above. The issue of fit vs gpx is nothing new. Here is a discussion on the matter from 2016: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... nt-5603609 There is a lot of complex discussion in this which leaves me even more confused and uncertain about what is going on.

Also, here is an example of files recorded with v3.00 GPSmap66 firmware.
Expected elevation gain is 90m.
Basecamp: fit= 231m, gpx=231m;
Connect: fit= 231m, gpx=53m;
Training Peaks: fit= 231m, gpx= 87m;
Strava: fit= 21m, gpx= 21m

Note that this is with elevation correction disabled in Connect and none applied in Training Peaks. I am not aware of any elevation correction facility in Strava. Note also that this was a coastal walk so perhaps not best for investigating elevation gain issues but I haven't yet been able to test any other routes with v3.00 firmware.

I don't know whether any of these differences are significant and clearly the various applications interpret the same data differently, so I don't know that this type of exercise is helpful; I am sure that Garmin would say that it is not. I put it here merely to inform the discussion.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the additional information. I'm just trying to understand exactly what is occurring so that my testing time is not wasted! As you say, it seems it is more complicated than it sounds, initially.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”