Would you buy the 66?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Think Tink

Would you buy the 66?

Unread post by Think Tink »

Hey All,

New user, long time lurker.
I've currently got a 62ST, which for the most part works for my needs, but I'm considering this as an upgrade. I know there's been plenty of bugs, but the recent 3.0 update sounds promising and has got me curious again.
The bigger screen and hugely increased geocache capacity is appealing.

My general activities that I use my 62ST for:
Geocaching
Hiking / Backpacking /route finding (inReach mini as a backup)
Biking

Just wondering if those of you who actually own this thing would buy one today, considering the newest updates. And are have the updates sorted out most of the issues that are seemingly plaguing this device?
Art

Re: Would you buy the 66?

Unread post by Art »

I found it absolutely useless to start with, but now it’s getting there. Took 6 months tho.
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

I was most likely one of the first buyer. I had a difficult start. The device was buggy and they had to change my first delivery by a replacement. After two uprgrades now there are still some bugs but you can use it. It is fast, has a good screens and a good GPS receiver. I would recommend a buy now.
WWERNER
steerage250

Unread post by steerage250 »

yea, it's getting better. Still some niggles, but I don't choose to go back to my old 60csx !
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I was one of the first purchasers for the 66s, bought it the first day it was available. It had quite a few problems using it as a geocaching GPSr. Fortunately most of those have been resolved. I just finished a geo-road trip, and it worked well.

The one problem I'm having now is that it takes an extremely long time to load my pocket queries. It hangs on the "Loading waypoints, tracks and routes...." screen. It has taken up to 6 hours for that to complete. I do have quite a few PQs that I load, that may be part of the issue. But I also have had issues where it bypasses that screen, and doesn't update at all. But it's getting better.
Think Tink

Unread post by Think Tink »

I bit the bullet the other day and bought one. Updated to 3.0 immediately.
So far so good, though I've only used it for ~3 hours total.

I've only got the desire to have ~10-20PQs at a time, at 1000 each, and so far, 9 of them didn't take long to load.
Here's hoping it stays at least this good, as it's working well for my needs.
Thanks for the tips!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Think Tink wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm I bit the bullet the other day and bought one. Updated to 3.0 immediately.
So far so good, though I've only used it for ~3 hours total.

I've only got the desire to have ~10-20PQs at a time, at 1000 each, and so far, 9 of them didn't take long to load.
Here's hoping it stays at least this good, as it's working well for my needs.
Thanks for the tips!
Great to have another GPSMAP 66 user active here in the forums!

Please share your trials and tribulations with your shiny new toy!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”