GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Spiney

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00 [Bug 56]

Unread post by Spiney »

Firmware 3.0 seems to have resolved my issue with large elevation spikes being generated every time the 66st device was brought out from Expedition Mode. For me, track recording of long walks in the standard mode has been exemplary (no crashes) but I would agree that the recorded elevation data is distinctly on the high side.

However Firmware 3.0 seems to have introduced a new bug: on several occasions after pressing the power button to "resume" from Expedition Mode, the device woke-up and while I could see the map, it had completely lost its connection to the satellites and the recorded track had stopped where the device was previously woken-up. The cursor had lost its correct position with a flashing question mark and the satellite screen only had the circle at the top and nothing underneath.

Waiting a few minutes proved fruitless and the satellite connection failed to resume. Changing it back to normal mode did not restore the satellite lock either. I had to power down the device and restart it to restore the satellite signal (five bars gained immediately). I tried using it in normal mode for a while with no issues, then changed back to Expedition Mode and the same thing happened each time. After the third time, I gave up using Expedition Mode and reverted back to normal mode, which worked fine.

Has anyone else had this issue using Expedition Mode with Firmware 3.0?
Spiney

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00

Unread post by Spiney »

@oldkingog

With respect to your elevation recording issues, it is very common for GPS devices to over estimate elevation gain.

The best tutorial on this issue that I have seen is on the GPS Visualizer website: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/tutorials/ ... _gain.html

You can use their on-line software to correct the data using the application of a Digital Elevation Model and setting an elevation gain threshold to smooth out the plot to something more realistic. The latter removes the small spikes in the raw elevation data.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Spiney wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:27 pm However Firmware 3.0 seems to have introduced a new bug: on several occasions after pressing the power button to "resume" from Expedition Mode, the device woke-up and while I could see the map, it had completely lost its connection to the satellites and the recorded track had stopped where the device was previously woken-up. The cursor had lost its correct position with a flashing question mark and the satellite screen only had the circle at the top and nothing underneath.

Waiting a few minutes proved fruitless and the satellite connection failed to resume. Changing it back to normal mode did not restore the satellite lock either. I had to power down the device and restart it to restore the satellite signal (five bars gained immediately). I tried using it in normal mode for a while with no issues, then changed back to Expedition Mode and the same thing happened each time. After the third time, I gave up using Expedition Mode and reverted back to normal mode, which worked fine.

Has anyone else had this issue using Expedition Mode with Firmware 3.00?
Yes!

I have also experienced this phenomenon with my GPSMAP 66 v3.00

I thought maybe it was just me, but now that I know others are also seeing it, I have added it to the common issues page as Bug 56.

I have also reported it to Garmin, and I hope others will do the same!

Thank You!
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

Spiney wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 pm @oldkingog

With respect to your elevation recording issues, it is very common for GPS devices to over estimate elevation gain.

The best tutorial on this issue that I have seen is on the GPS Visualizer website: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/tutorials/ ... _gain.html

You can use their on-line software to correct the data using the application of a Digital Elevation Model and setting an elevation gain threshold to smooth out the plot to something more realistic. The latter removes the small spikes in the raw elevation data.
Thanks for this link and your insight, Spiney. It seems to me that there must be an algorithm that Garmin can use in the device that would perform the spike removal automatically. My Garmin Vivoactive3 is able to calculate elevation gain/loss seemingly very close to what it should be.
oldkingog

I was setting up a couple of profiles yesterday and came across a bug. One of my newly created profiles resorted back to the factory preset and my list of profiles now shows profiles with names such as "'E539", "JR@" and "JR". I took a couple of screen shots, but am not sure how to post them on this forum.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please send those to webmaster@gpsrchive com

Also, please send a copy of the Garmin\Profiles directory.
oldkingog

One connection I've made... I was having problems with my device crashing regularly during my bicycle commutes to work. I had always ridden with a Garmin chest heart monitor and I recently decided to abandon it to see if it was possibly contributing to the problem. Sure enough, after riding over the last week and a half without the monitor, the 66 has not crashed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

oldkingog wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 pm One connection I've made... I was having problems with my device crashing regularly during my bicycle commutes to work. I had always ridden with a Garmin chest heart monitor and I recently decided to abandon it to see if it was possibly contributing to the problem. Sure enough, after riding over the last week and a half without the monitor, the 66 has not crashed.
Which model HRM were you using?
oldkingog

It's a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor, model number 010-10997-00.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Wow, those are inexpensive now.

I have one of that very model, so I can try to duplicate this.

Any additional information you can share to make that process easier for me would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”