geocaches from pocket queries disappearing

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: geocaches from pocket queries disappearing

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You didnt say that you checked your filters to make sure the file was enabled.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I download all my Geocaches to my laptop.Then they are put in folder for each area I plan to go to that day or week. Then the 66s is connected to the laptop and those GPX files I will need for next 2 weeks or so are copied over. After I log my finds to Geocaching website the those caches are removed from the 66s that have been found. What is left is only the ones that still need to be found. At any one time there are 50 plus GPX files on the 66s. There has never been a time that any of the GPX files have disappeared. All GPX files are kept on the SD card along with the Topo map that will be used. Also for other Topo countries I have a SD card and the Geocaches on that SD card. They are all ready to be used when I go to that country. I remove the one SD card and replace it with the next. At no time has any GPX files go missing. So I do not understand what is going on with these users who are having these problems. I always check my 66s before I go out in the field and all my GPX files are there. Plus the backup copy of all the 100's I have downloaded on my laptop. They are all manually installed to the 66s from my laptop if needed.

More details are needed as how this is happening to user's that have this problem. Nothing just disappears there has to be a reason something has gone missing. It is no different for a PC or Smartphone or Tablet. Things just do not disappears. Something has of happened one way or another by user's actions be it being deleted and not knowing you have deleted the files. Or removing to many GPX files that are not needed also removing files you do need and you do not remember doing it.
dprovan

Unread post by dprovan »

For me, at least, the GPX file doesn't go away. It's still there. The caches in the GPX file just don't show up, either in the list or on the map.

One work around was to "touch" (i.e., set the creation date to today) or otherwise reassert the GPX file. Then my 66st shows the caches again.

As I said originally, when I described exactly what I was seeing, a logical explanation would be that the 66st just decides that caches a week old are "stale", so it doesn't consider them valid and forgets about them.

In all fairness, I only saw this because I was on vacation for a couple weeks without any way to download pocket queries. Nowadays I'm back to normal where I almost always load a fresh PQ every time I go geocaching, so the problem wouldn't come up even if it were still there. I mention that because there have been 2 or 3 firmware updates since I reported my problem, so for all I know, it's been fixed without me having any reason to notice.
asprin624

@dprovan,
There is no time expire for GPX files. I have some on my 66s that are over 6 weeks old.
I just have not had time to get back to that area to use them.

There is nothing that would cause what you are saying.
I quote you:

As I said originally, when I described exactly what I was seeing, a logical explanation would be that the 66st just decides that caches a week old are "stale", so it doesn't consider them valid and forgets about them.

What does the 66 have anything to do with how old the GPX files are and why would it decide on it's own what is valid or not based on how long the GPX files have been on the unit?????

Something else is going on that you are doing and long with others why these GPX files are not there.......
You should go over what you are doing each time you load GPS files. Note them down to see if you are doing something that is not correct.
asprin624

I found this info on the Geocaching website.

4.8. Create a Pocket Query

Premium Members can use the Pocket Query (PQ) feature to create a set of caches to download to GPS devices and the Geocaching® app. A PQ can include up to 1000 caches according to the filters you choose. The PQ will automatically download to the Geocaching® app and remains there for 7 days.

Found here:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.p ... 7&pgid=118 (you need to login to see this info)

Note it is not very clear if it has anything to do with the 66 or any other GPS unit.
But if it does indeed have a time limit that is just a lot of BS. Why would it even be for 7 days only????

I have never used Pocket Query. I do take the time to read each Geocache as to what it is about then download that GPX file. Been doing that for a long time. Picking a group of GPX files I find no point in it. You want to read about the Cache.
Understand what the user has made. Look at the photos and read the comments of other users. There is nothing quick about Geocaching. It is to get out and enjoy the outdoors and even more so while we have this virus hanging over our heads.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The groundspeak app has nothing to do with Garmin GPSr.

They keep each users PQ available on their smartphone app for 7 days. Nothing to do with the PQ itself, just how long they keep them in their app.

I have GPX and GGZ files that are years old on my Garmin devices and they still work just fine.

They do not time out.
dprovan

Unread post by dprovan »

asprin624 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:10 am What does the 66 have anything to do with how old the GPX files are and why would it decide on it's own what is valid or not based on how long the GPX files have been on the unit?????
I obviously would have no idea why the unit would do that. I just know that 1 week into my 2 week vacation, the caches I loaded into my 66st before I left home disappeared. To get them back, I connected the 66st to a PC and pretended to edit the PQ files, giving them a current date. Then the caches showed up again.

But to reiterate: this was FW v2.50. I haven't been in a position where I'd notice this problems after any of the intervening updates. I'd pretty much forgotten about this issue, but I'll take another look and see if I see any evidence of it with v4.20.
dprovan

Unread post by dprovan »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm The groundspeak app has nothing to do with Garmin GPSr.

They keep each users PQ available on their smartphone app for 7 days. Nothing to do with the PQ itself, just how long they keep them in their app.
Of course, I agree that the comment in the app documentation doesn't apply to my 66st. But it does show that there are developers that think this makes sense. And it also opens up the possibility of a developer from Garmin copying the idea.
I have GPX and GGZ files that are years old on my Garmin devices and they still work just fine.

They do not time out.
You're using a 66? Honest, I'm not making this up. I did very careful tests to confirm under fw v2.50 what I reported and rule out the other explanations people offered.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, a GPSMAP 66st, Oregon 750t, Montana 680t, Rino 755t, eTrex Touch 35t, and many others, all without issue.

Garmin - does - not - timeout - GPX - or - GGZ - Files.

Period.

(look elsewhere to find the true source of your issue, this is not it)

Or, as Obi-Wan Kenobi might say... "This isn't the problem you're looking for..."

also: v2.50 is now 6 updates old.
dprovan

Unread post by dprovan »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm Garmin - does - not - timeout - GPX - or - GGZ - Files.

Period.
I know you believe that, but I also know what I proved on my unit. I checked every other possible explanation anyone suggested, but the problem was there every time I looked for it.
(look elsewhere to find the true source of your issue, this is not it)

Or, as Obi-Wan Kenobi might say... "This isn't the problem you're looking for..."
I don't know of anywhere else to look except this forum.
also: v2.50 is now 6 updates old.
Yes, in every single post in the recent revival of this conversation, I've been careful to point out that I discovered this with old software and hadn't looked for it again since v2.50. I just did a casual test with v4.20, and I don't see the problem anymore, so case closed. I won't worry about your claims that I'm delusional.

But are you now saying that could have been a problem 6 updates ago? Which is it? Garmin - does - not - timeout - GPX - Files Period, or that it could have been an old problem that's probably been fixed by now?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”