Trip odometer in Expedition mode [Bug 68]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
rogerm

Trip odometer in Expedition mode [Bug 68]

Unread post by rogerm »

Whenever I turn on expedition mode, the trip odometer is dramatically wrong. As an example, after a 2 1/2 hour walk, I apparently traveled 59143km and had a total ascent of 9842m.

I've looked at the tracks and they appear reasonable so while I'm sure expedition mode is less accurate, it could a least get a good approximation.

This occurs on the latest firmware (2.50) as well as the previous.

I was interested to find nobody else appears to have mentioned this though it's hard to believe it can be just my unit and it's not hard to miss.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Trip odometer in Expedition mode [Bug 68]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them, so thank you for the reminder!

As this is a completely new feature, I will not be too harsh while they get it figured out 8^)
oldcrashtestdummy

Unread post by oldcrashtestdummy »

rogerm wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm Whenever I turn on expedition mode, the trip odometer is dramatically wrong. As an example, after a 2 1/2 hour walk, I apparently traveled 59143km and had a total ascent of 9842m.

I've looked at the tracks and they appear reasonable so while I'm sure expedition mode is less accurate, it could a least get a good approximation.

This occurs on the latest firmware (2.50) as well as the previous.

I was interested to find nobody else appears to have mentioned this though it's hard to believe it can be just my unit and it's not hard to miss.
You need to stop walking so fast. :D
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them 8^)
Have you found time to re-visit these many issues with using the Expedition Mode? What were the issues you identified and are they still of concern?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Spiney wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them 8^)
Have you found time to re-visit these many issues with using the Expedition Mode? What were the issues you identified and are they still of concern?
I am waiting for them to make an improvement to that feature before I do any serious testing. The most recent update did nothing to address Expedition Mode, so no more testing yet!
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

Fair enough, but I would still be interested to hear about the issues that you have identified so far as there seems to be little about this mode elsewhere.
Rbaney

Unread post by Rbaney »

I have a 66S with firmware version 3.10 and it is doing the same thing in expedition mode. I hike 5 miles and it records 35000 miles with an average speed of 13000 mph. Unfortunately if I don't have this unit in expedition mode, a set of AA batteries won't last the duration of a full day hike. This is a simple calculation. Garmin needs to fix this! :x
g66

Unread post by g66 »

I have the same bug
Is there a specific procedure to show this bug.
I cannot reproduce it on demand

I am sure, garmin still does not know about it.
rogerm

Unread post by rogerm »

Based on my experimentation it adds on a fixed amount when the device enters (or alternatively exits) expedition mode. I could often get it to happen several times in a row just by putting it in expedition mode, waiting a few seconds and getting it to resume.

It isn't 100% reproducible, I went several days without ever seeing it, but most of the time it was pretty common. It's not related to any settings, resetting to defaults doesn't make a difference. The amount it adds on is almost always exactly the same (though one day it was 20km or so instead of 9800). The exact amount however is location dependent though it is not the distance to any single point (as I once thought it might be).

I reported it to Garmin though they had no ideas and it was on account of this that they replaced my unit though the new one does it too (and adds exactly the same distance too).

Yes, Garmin should fix it, it makes expedition mode rather useless and it is one of the big selling features of the 66.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

I wanted to make a video

But turning on expedition mode and then off did not result in false odometer

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”