Activities & recordings - a bit confused

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
steerage250

Activities & recordings - a bit confused

Unread post by steerage250 »

I come from 10 years using a 60csx, where I simply had a track log that could be cleared or saved. And whether you cleared it or not, the whole day's tracks were saved to the SD card on a daily basis (if I selected "Log track to data card"). So I could always recover a lost track log by going to the daily gpx files on the data card.

Now I have my 66st and have these things called Activities.
I also have an option in Recording Settings > Advanced to set "GPX Auto Archive" to "Daily".

1. Is an Activity simply a "session" of track logging? - equivalent to a Saved Tracklog on my 60csx?

2. How does the GPX Auto Archive - Daily function work? I was hoping that all recordings for the day would be stored in a date-stamped GPX file. However, it seems when I cleared an Activity, that track recording was not included. What should the GPX Auto Archive be archiving ?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Activities & recordings - a bit confused

Unread post by GPSrChive »

First, I apologize that not all pages here at the wiki are complete to answer your questions. There will always be more information to add!

1. In the past, all 'outdoor' GPSr (aren't they all?), the type we use when we are hiking, hunting, fishing, etc, simply recorded track logs which we could view on the device via 'Track Manager'. The specialized GPSr Garmin produced for athletic use (swimming, running, etc.) were considered 'Fitness' units. They also recorded data in a track log of sorts, but they are more centered around information pertinent to the activity at hand. When Garmin introduced the eTrex Touch series, they started blurring the lines a little bit, and what were called 'Profiles' on older units became 'Activities' on newer units. Essentially, an Activity and a Track Log are the same thing, but they are not saved the same way and are not interchangeable in raw form. Tracks are saved as .gpx files, and activities are saved as .fit files. You will see your GPSMAP 66 gives you the option under [Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup > Output Format] to select either FIT only or both FIT and GPX. I am always annoyed by this as I do not care for the FIT files, I am only interested in the GPX, yet I have no option to not create memory using FIT files, and I have to remember to clear them from time to time when the unit is connected to my PC.

2. I understand you made a huge leap from your trusty GPSMAP 60 series to a new 66 (which includes nearly two decades of changes and updates in technology). Simply stated, "all recordings for the day will be stored in a date-stamped GPX file" - so long as you do not intentionally clear the track data! In the same setup menu mentioned above, if you have [Recorded Data Reset = Activity and Trip], clearing an activity or trip data results in data for both being cleared. I set this option to 'Prompted' so I can decide each time which to clear and which to save, which results in a few more button presses each time. I also set [Trip Recording = During Activity] so that the track log data and Trip Computer page data always run/pause/stop together.

I hope you find this helpful. Keep posting any other questions you might have!
feraltek

Unread post by feraltek »

I have a Garmin heart rate monitor chest strap with Ant+. Does this get recorded in a dot.GPX or a dot.FIT file or both?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

feraltek wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm I have a Garmin heart rate monitor chest strap with Ant+. Does this get recorded in a dot.GPX or a dot.FIT file or both?
If your Montana is recording your activity, that data will be part of the *.gpx and/or *.fit files created.
feraltek

Unread post by feraltek »

It's a GPSMAP 66S. I asume it's the same answer - in both. Thanks for the quick reply.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

feraltek wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm It's a GPSMAP 66S. I asume it's the same answer - in both. Thanks for the quick reply.
Whoops! Yes, the answer is still the same!
Ibex

Unread post by Ibex »

Contrary to what is written above, I think it is with the setting [Trip Recording = During Activity] that we have the synchronization of the calculated data for the trip and for the activity.
Cordially
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Ibex wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm Contrary to what is written above, I think it is with the setting [Trip Recording = During Activity] that we have the synchronization of the calculated data for the trip and for the activity.
Cordially
You are correct, I mis-typed that! I have corrected it now! Thank you!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”