External power lost - shutdown or stay on choice

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
steerage250

External power lost - shutdown or stay on choice

Unread post by steerage250 »

I wish there was on option to either disable this choice, or make the default "stay on".

My old 60csx never had this feature, and after 10 years, I cannot think of a single occasion that I wish it had shutdown after I disconnected the external power.

Sometimes, it could cause me to lose track recording. Many times, I take my GPS in the car to record my travels, but since I know where I'm going I don't need it for guidance, and I just have it plugged-in and either on the back seat, or in the centre console. On these occasions, the 66st will turn itself off when I stop the car, and I'll probably not remember to turn it back on when I get back in my car to continue the journey - resulting in me losing track recordings.

Sent to Garmin
Art

Re: External power lost - shutdown or stay on choice

Unread post by Art »

The device doesn’t know whether or not the plug was pulled, or fell out unintentionally (ie. motorbiking or similar activity).
I can understand the reason for it, but maybe option would be nice.
60csx also had a kick ass power connector that isn’t just falling out.

EDIT,, I didn’t read properly... The default should be to stay on ;)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

steerage250 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:02 am I wish there was on option to either disable this choice, or make the default "stay on".
Posted as Requested Feature #5 in Common Issues page.

Thank You
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Art wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:50 am 60csx also had a kick ass power connector that isn’t just falling out.
Yeah, the micro-USB connector on the 66st leaves much to be desired. I don't feel Garmin properly vetted this hardware change in the field before implementing it.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

steerage250 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:02 am My old 60csx never had this feature, and after 10 years, I cannot think of a single occasion that I wish it had shutdown after I disconnected the external power.
My 60CSx has a countdown timer when external power is lost. A message pops up saying external power is lost and 30 seconds starts ticking down. Pressing any button during that 30 seconds keeps it powered on but if no button is pressed, powers off when zero is reached.
steerage250

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm My 60CSx has a countdown timer when external power is lost. A message pops up saying external power is lost and 30 seconds starts ticking down. Pressing any button during that 30 seconds keeps it powered on but if no button is pressed, powers off when zero is reached.
That is very interesting - mine just beeps and pops-up a message saying external power has been lost - but doesn't start a timer to shutdown. In the "System" options, it has choices for External Power Lost of: "Turn Off" or "Stay On"
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

steerage250 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:59 am That is very interesting - mine just beeps and pops-up a message saying external power has been lost - but doesn't start a timer to shutdown. In the "System" options, it has choices for External Power Lost of: "Turn Off" or "Stay On"
FWIW - My 60CSx is one of the originals, got it soon after release. And it has whatever the last, (latest), firmware/software update would have been.
steerage250

yeah, I too thought I had the latest/last firmware, but I can't remember how to see the firmware version installed?
sammyB

Unread post by sammyB »

Hej, after the latest update you can get a countdown when you shut off the gps.
You can enable it by setting the gps in spanner mode.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

sammyB wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 pm Hej, after the latest update you can get a countdown when you shut off the gps.
You can enable it by setting the gps in spanner mode.
This has always been a function of 'Spanner' mode.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”