Track show, blocks and fields to set - disappointed with new 66ST

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
il_pippi

Track show, blocks and fields to set - disappointed with new 66ST

Unread post by il_pippi »

Hi guys!
Just a question about gpsmap66 st i bought recently.
I had a wonderful Colorado300 since 2008, mounted on my motorbike bar, but it died.

It was fast in zooming and track show after calculation.
This new 66 st is not as fast as the old Colorado300, really slower.

- map zoom is slower (and maps used are the same, osm etc, stored on 32 Gb SD card, kingston class 10)

- when i click on a map point and click on go to, it starts calculating and it takes more time, but above all, when finished, i don't see the violet track to follow if it is "long": i mean that if i'm pointing somewhere at "few km" ok, but if longer... I necessarily have to zoom out and in at least a couple of time then finally i see it.

I tried also moving maps from SD to internal but nothing changes.
My maps are .img uploaded directly with drag and drop but also maps uploaded with mapsource/basecamp.

With old Colorado300 it was faster and faster, and on motorbike while driving it'd be a plus.

I have regularly updated firmware, now version 6.0.0.0 then in theory it's good. But nothing changes.

Another interesting feature i miss is that navigating (to home for example) i have fix fields: speed and ARRIVAL TIME. I'd like to see DISTANCE TO ARRIVAL and i don't find the way to change it. You?

I use quite often only with charger because if with batteries and turn off....it happens that it is completely blocked, and only way to make it starts is removing batteries and re-inserting: and sometimes it happens that even without batteries inside (connected to charger on the motorbike), it turns off but lcd remains with last screenshot, only lighter.

I love Garmin, i had etrex legend, then Colorado300 and now this.
Not interested in other devices but...I'm quite disappointed.

Does it happen only to me or someone else faces same issue?

Thanks for every opinion 😊
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Track show, blocks and fields to set - disappointed with new 66ST

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Based on the 'collective' behaviors you are reporting, I am going to recommend preforming a master reset on the device, which means you will have to reconfigure your desired profile settings, and you may lose some data, so make a backup of any important files first (maps will not be deleted). I find I have to do this once in awhile after multiple firmware updates have been applied (the GPSMAP 66 has had many).

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Backup, and

You can find Master Reset instructions at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Troubleshooting.
Master Reset
How do I Master Reset my GPSMAP 66?
  • Power the GPSMAP 66 off.
  • Press and hold the (Page) and (Enter) buttons simultaneously.
  • Press and release the (Power) button.
  • The GPSMAP 66 will begin the boot process.
  • Release the (Page) and (Enter) buttons after backlight illuminates.
  • When prompted "Erase all user data?", select [Erase].
The GPSMAP 66s/st, current firmware 6.0, will have another update very soon, so maybe wait for that to be published, then install and reset the device after if still necessary.

Please do let us know what you decide and how it works out.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

il_pippi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:54 am Another interesting feature i miss is that navigating (to home for example) i have fix fields: speed and ARRIVAL TIME. I'd like to see DISTANCE TO ARRIVAL and i don't find the way to change it. You?
What page are you refering to?

There is a Data Field 'Distance to Destination', which is what it sounds like you are wanting.

Maybe you can post a screen capture showing exactly what you are seeing, this will make it easier to give precise information for your situation.

You can see a full list of available data fields at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Data Fields.
il_pippi

What page are you refering to?
when you navigate a road visualizing the map, only two field at the bottom of the page: speed and arrival time, don't understand if possible to change arrival time with distance to arrival (there are choice but not for distance)
I find I have to do this once in awhile after multiple firmware updates have been applied (the GPSMAP 66 has had many).
i can also try, but the device is doing this since unboxing, even before firsts update.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Ah, you are using the 'Automotive Dashboard', which only offers six data fields while navigating (see GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Dashboards > Automotive).

You can enable the 'Large Data Field' or 'Small Data Fields' dashboard and have one to four data fields displayed instead, and you will be able to choose from the full selection of available data fields.
il_pippi

I know that with small data i can select all fields, i was looking the way to have it as in colorado, only TWO fields, to avoid a too little remaining map.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 'Small Data Fields' and 'Automotive' Dashboards both use essentially the same amount of space on the Map page.

It may not initially appear that this is the case as the 'Small Data Fields' Dashboard is displayed entirely at the top of the page:

DB Small DF.png

...while the 'Automotive' Dashboard splits its display between the top and bottom of the page:

DB Automotive 01.png

One could argue that the 'Automotive' Dashboard provides a handful of additional horizontal lines, but this is really just splitting hairs.

Below is a comparison between the Colorado Automotive Navigation page and the GPSMAP 66 Map page with 'Small Data Fields' Dashboard enabled. In the third frame, I have moved half of the 'Small Data Field' Dashboard to the bottom of the screen, and moved the map up to make it easier to visualize how little difference there really is between the two.

GPSMAP 66 vs Colorado Map Screen Comparison.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
il_pippi

Very interesting the 3rd frame.
How did you do this "splitting"?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

With Photoshop 8^)
il_pippi