Geocache Lists

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
rockcandymountain

Geocache Lists

Unread post by rockcandymountain »

After reading the forum on how to remove caches from the machine, which I did, If I go back to Geocaching Live..Geocaching Lists, there's still several lists showing how many caches are in each list. Are these lists stored on the GPS or are they being fetched through Geocaching Live. Plus, how do I get rid of these lists?

I am not a fan of loading geocaches to my GPS using Geocaching Live. Id much rather do it using GSAK, since I have to load 1 other GPS and a Nuvi and the process goes quicker for me tethered to my desktop computer.

What setting do I need to change in the 66st to have the unit pop up on my desktop when a USB cable is plugged in?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache Lists

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Love the user name, which dates both of us.

When you open Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Geocache Lists, the device will load an index of the PQ's and lists for the groundspeak account it is registered to.

From GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching > PQ List Download:
GPSrChive wrote: Each PQ and/or List will display the PQ or List name, number of geocaches included, and the current sync status.
Synced: The PQ or List data on the GPSr is identical to the Groundspeak website data.
Not Synced: The PQ or List data has not been downloaded to the GPSr.
Out-of-Sync: The PQ or List data on the GPSr does not match the Groundspeak website data.
So....

• The GPSr only has data loaded from the lists that show 'Synced' or 'Out-of-Sync'.
• No data is loaded to the GPSr for lists that show 'Not Synced'.
• When all lists show 'Not Synced', no PQ's or Lists are loaded to the GPSr.

It is still possible to have GCLive data loaded via the Geocaching page 'Load Geocaches' function.

All GCLive data exists in the internal device memory, and is not accessible to the user when connected to a computer in Mass Storage Mode (MSM).

To clear all GCLive data from the device, select Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Remove Live Data > Yes.

USB communication protocols are configurable in Setup > System > Interface. Most options will automatically mount your device to the computer as an external drive when connected, except for Garmin Spanner, which always prompts the user to enter MSM or remain in operation when connected (which is my personal preference).
rockcandymountain

Under Setup/System/interface. What should the setting be. It us currently Garmin Serial. I plugged the unit into my desktop computer and it did not see it.

I understand what you are saying about the listings that show up under Geocaching Live. At some point that list could become quit long. Even though the actual caches aren't on the machine until syncing is done. I would rather have it where the list isn't showing older PQ lists. Will this list disappear when and if I can get the GPS internal storage to show when the GPS is visible via directories using the computer.

Thanks
rgschmidt

Unread post by rgschmidt »

I was just wondering. Does the GC Live Download of pocket queries result in exact the same detail of Cache information as loading a GPX file to the device? I would expect it to load description, logs (5-10x), hint and Chirp but probably not additional waypoints because these are normally in a separate GPX file when downloading pocket queries from groundspeak.
Garmin GPSMAP 65S | Garmin GPSMAP 66SR | Garmin GPSMAP 66ST | Garmin Extrex 30
GPSrChive
Site Admin

rockcandymountain wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:17 am Under Setup/System/interface. What should the setting be. It us currently Garmin Serial. I plugged the unit into my desktop computer and it did not see it.

I understand what you are saying about the listings that show up under Geocaching Live. At some point that list could become quit long. Even though the actual caches aren't on the machine until syncing is done. I would rather have it where the list isn't showing older PQ lists. Will this list disappear when and if I can get the GPS internal storage to show when the GPS is visible via directories using the computer.

Thanks
PC or Mac?

Try a different cable and USB port. Then try a different computer (to verify the GPSr is functioning properly).

Any PQ or List that exists on the Groundspeak servers for the registered account will be available for sync on the GPSr.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

rgschmidt wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:29 am I was just wondering. Does the GC Live Download of pocket queries result in exact the same detail of Cache information as loading a GPX file to the device? I would expect it to load description, logs (5-10x), hint and Chirp but probably not additional waypoints because these are normally in a separate GPX file when downloading pocket queries from groundspeak.
GCLive loads all of the same detail and information that is available via GPX download, with the only limitation being that GCLive only downloads the 5 most recent logs. Those who use third party software like GSAK can load GPX files with more than 5 logs, and can add additional 'statistical data' that does not exist on the Groundspeak servers to the GPX.

Additional waypoints are also loaded to the GPSr via GCLive (see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching > Child Waypoints). GCLive child waypoints are stored in the [GPSr:]/Garmin/GPX/additional_waypoints.gpx file (see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Files and Folders).
rockcandymountain

I was able to get the 66 st to show up on my computer. I went to the GPX folder and deleted the current and archived GPX files. Then I unplugged the GPS and went back into geocaching live/geocaching lists and all of the PQ are still there. Is there. Isn't there a way to remove those?

Also there is a Found Geocaches counter. Is it anything more than a counter? Or is the unit keeping a file of found caches?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

rockcandymountain wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 pm I was able to get the 66 st to show up on my computer. I went to the GPX folder and deleted the current and archived GPX files. Then I unplugged the GPS and went back into geocaching live/geocaching lists and all of the PQ are still there. Is there. Isn't there a way to remove those?
I answered that question in my first response.

rockcandymountain wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 pm Also there is a Found Geocaches counter. Is it anything more than a counter? Or is the unit keeping a file of found caches?
Just a counter, serves no real purpose on newer devices. Older device use it to display the number of finds in the Geocache Dashboard...

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”