Inconsistancy of autosave activity/track

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Inconsistancy of autosave activity/track

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
GPSMAP 66st with software 6.00.
Since the auto save was updated to make it possible to save both an activity (FIT) and a track (GPX) i observed the following.
Log settings Auto and Most often. Auto save set to auto, output format FIT and GPX.

When the auto save occurs, the track (GPX) get the date and time from the beginning of the activity, but the activity (FIT) gets the date and time from the time the save occurs. The date and time for the FIT file may also be after the end of the actual activity, this happens if there is first a day of activity, the unit is turned off and left over the night and turned on next day or a few days later at which time the autosave is performed.

It would be easier to handle if both showed the same time, say the beginning of the activity which is saved.
I have sent the same information to Garmin. Wanted to ask if others have seen this as well.
asprin624

Re: Inconsistancy of autosave activity/track

Unread post by asprin624 »

I just checked and both FIT and GPX files show the same time at the end of the hike.

But I always save the GPX file when I finish the hike.
Reason if I do not do that and the 66 is off and get back in my car and go home and the next day I drive to a different location and turn on the 66 at the end of the day I save the file it show a straight line from my first hike back to me house and the same when I leave my house to a new location.

Plus what I do is before I start my hike I turn on the 66 and delete and track that has started.
Then the new track starts just where I am and ends right where I am when I finish when I save it and turn off the 66

But all in all both FIT and GPS files are always the same date at the end of the hike.....
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

On mine the times are slightly different but I don't think they are save time and beginning time because my times are only a little different even when the activity is long. The date stamp formats are different too.

But, I like this difference when I connect my 66 to the computer with BaseCamp. The differences makes it quick and easy to tell them apart so I can efficiently delete the Fit files that BaseCamp for some reason thinks are GPX tracks and displays automatically as tracks. So honestly, I hope they don't fix the time stamp thing until they have fixed the incorrect detection of Fit files as GPX tracks.
asprin624

My FIT and GPX files show the same date stamp and format.

Examples:
2020-11-20 15-48-47.FIT
2020-11-20 15.48.47.GPX
CheminerWill

asprin624 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:07 am My FIT and GPX files show the same date stamp and format.

Examples:
2020-11-20 15-48-47.FIT
2020-11-20 15.48.47.GPX
In Explorer I see mine with the times in the same format except for the dots in the gpx date and dashes in the fit. But BaseCamp displays them both as tracks with the same two feet as the symbol and with different time formats and different times.

Explorer:
2020-12-16 09-04-24.fit
2020-12-16 09.04.24.gpx

BaseCamp:
12/16/2020 9:02:59 AM (FIT)
2020-12-16 09:04:24 (GPX)

If you hook up your 66 to BaseCamp do you still see identical time stamps?
asprin624

Was out today and again I show
with XYplorer
2020-12-16 14.51.30.gpx
2020-12-16 14-51-30.fit
with Explorer
2020-12-16 14-51-30.fit
2020-12-16 14.51.30.gpx

With GPXsee
2020-12-16 14-51-30.fit

with Mapsource
2020-12-16 14.51.30.gpx

But they are all with the same time and date be it with a dash or dot.
I always remove all my fit and gps files to my laptop.
No need to keep them on the 66.
When I need to I then review them if I want to look something up.
But If I go back to the same spot I just track a new fit and gpx track files on the 66....
The same with my Geocaches once I log the finds I remove them from the 66.
No need to keep them there anymore.
Even if I were to use one of the tracks over again the date and time mean nothing at all.
The 66 will make a new track at the sometime if I stay with the old track or change up some of it.
I later can review if I need too see the differences between the 2 track.....
CheminerWill

Maybe it is just a BaseCamp thing for my setup. But for now as I said above, I use the difference to quickly and easily remove the FIT "tracks" BaseCamp displays as a first step. All my tracks and waypoints go into BaseCamp. But, for my purposes at least, I have no use for FIT files in BaseCamp and I certainly don't need BaseCamp to display them as tracks.

I wonder with what program the original poster is checking their times?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
It is interesting too read how different we use the information.

My observation is only related to FIT and GPX which are auto-saved.
Manual saves will get the same date and time, namely the name one gets to confirm or enter when a manual save is done.

I almost never use basecamp, sometimes other applications (JOSM and QMapShack) to display GPX tracks.
The reason i observed it was that i wanted to clean a few auto-saved tracks and activities from the unit (via the interface on the unit), in this case it would have been easier to have the same identifier (date and time) on both the FIT and GPX to be certain that the same activity and track is removed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:59 pm sometimes other applications (JOSM and QMapShack) to display GPX tracks.
Great...

There goes another afternoon.....

8^)

Unread post by 987 »

I believe yet one clarification must be made.
I almost never use basecamp since i rarely use windows to start with, mostly Linux. I use the included topo map, readymade maps or build myself.
I never use the computer to plan routes, but i sometimes take a track from the unit and use it to map areas or correct maps in OSM. For this i use JOSM.
One poster asked what program i use and now has got the answer

The observed behaviour is however not at all related to anything else than the unit.

Didn't quite get the comment about the afternoon, but it looks sarcastic... :lol:

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”