Can no longer see my waypoints

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Can no longer see my waypoints

Unread post by GPSrChive »

CheminerWill wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:25 pm By the way:
If so, carefully check your GSAK export settings to find what may have happened there. I am not aware of exactly how your databases are configured or the exact process you use to export them.

AFAIK, GSAK can only export geocaches, not 'Personal Waypoints'.
This has never happened before Saturday, after I checked the filters for the 1st time ever. The personal waypoints (Generic Geocaches), have lived in my main GSAK database for years and have always been loaded to my GPSr at the same time, in the same file, as all other geocaches. No settings have recently changed in GSAK. I really believe it is a result of what you said about "once hidden, always hidden". And getting them back by applying the "Show All" filter may not work as the 66 might not be including those Generic Geocaches in any of the Show All categories?

One of the two files I sent you was a copy from my 66 sd card if a ggz file export from GSAK using the Garmin Export macro, same as I have always done it. The other file was a .gpx file exported from GSAK to my desktop.
I have tested with applying geocache filters and restoring them with the 'Show All' function on my GPSMAP 66, and they correctly disappear then return to view as expected.

If you did change something in the profile you use normally, perhaps trying another profile will get them to appear again?

DO NOT reset your device. You do not want to go through all that each time you change something and can not determine immediately what you changed. You need to find what you did so you do not do it again.

Make sure you do not have map zoom settings configured unfavorbaly, etc.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I have not been able to figure it out. I did change profiles to a profile I have not used before and they do not appear there either. That profile has all zoom levels set to auto.
CheminerWill

Regardless of whether I ever figure out why this has happened, I guess in the end I will be benefited by having to bring my personal waypoint management out from the dark ages. I did just test by taking the information from one of my personal waypoints/generic geocaches that is not showing and manually creating a exact new copy as a waypoint in BaseCamp. Then exported that one new waypoint from BC to my desktop and then manually copied it in to the 66 Garmin>GPX folder. It shows up fine like expected on the 66 map screen.

I am agreeable to maintaining and managing all(I already have some), of my personal, non-geocache waypoints in BaseCamp. I already have in BaseCamp some newer waypoints created on the 66. These have all the information I want associated with them, including custom symbols, notes, etc. But I have about 80+ older waypoints in GSAK, (could probably be cleaned down to about 40 or 50), that I would want to get from GSAK to BaseCamp. So far I have not found any of the GSAK export options work to preserve all the GSAK information and format when imported into BaseCamp. So I guess I will need to do each one manually one by one and be done with it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You could also delete or rename the current SQL folder and make the GPSr rebuild it's entire database from scratch....
CheminerWill

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:29 am You could also delete or rename the current SQL folder and make the GPSr rebuild it's entire database from scratch....
That is one of the first things I tried to get those to show. I also took out the SD card and tried a few other things that did not seem like they would work. And they did not. I am sure you are right in that it is something I did. But really all I did before this started was playing with the filters.

I was thinking that maybe if I hid those generic styles with a filter, then even though I made sure all filters were now set to "Show A'll", maybe the generics did not come back because they don't fall into one of the default categories. But you killed that theory when you said you hid the generics by filtering and when you reset the filters to show all, the generics in the file I sent you came back into view on your 66.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”