Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Iamnotanumber

Is it a good Buy

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

Sorry i'm new to the site so forgive me if i am breaching any conventions. i currently use a Map62s but have been thinking about upgrading to the 66s. The principle reason being the higher resolution display and memory. My main use is hill walking and i am more than a little concerned about the reports of buggy software. The one thing i value over anything else in a GPS is reliability. Should i be concerned or are the present failings relatively minor?

Secondly do people have faith in Garmin putting matters right quickly or should i perhaps stick with what i have for a bit longer.

any advice appreciated
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While I have access to nearly every GPSr Garmin have produced in the last two decades, including several GPSMAP 62 units, my favorite 'go-to' devices that I actually grab when heading outdoors are the Oregon 7x0 series (small, capable, touchscreen unit) and the GPSMAP 66 (larger and more features than the Oregon 7x0 with no touchscreen).

Both units still have some issues to resolve, which I am confident Garmin software engineers are still working on.

The GPSMAP 66 can be used with Garmin Explore app on your smart phone, which is still VERY buggy, and creates a lot of issues, so I would avoid this feature for the time being. Most do not need to use Explore anyway.

Any upgrade will require a 'learning' period where you get used to new processes and features compared to your older GPSr.
Iamnotanumber

Re: Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

Many Thanks for the advice I think i will take the plunge.

I don't have plans to use Garmin Explore at present anyway as I currently use other 3rd party route and mapping programs on my phone and PC
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Be sure to post your impressions here after getting your new GPSMAP 66!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”