Search for cities not working [Bug 73] [Crash 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
hangman

Re: Search for cities not working [Bug 73] [Crash 8]

Unread post by hangman »

... and I forgot to mention: Back up your waypoints too.
robert

Unread post by robert »

The bug i videoed seems relatively easy to reproduce on my device at the moment. Are then any crash dumps or memory dumps that can be performed on my device which can be sent to Garmin to allow them to simulate this under debug conditions?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

They do occasionally ask for the System.xml and GarminDevice.xml files from the Garmin directory on the GPSr. If you send those to webmaster@GPSrChive.com we will forward them.
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 pm They do occasionally ask for the System.xml and GarminDevice.xml files from the Garmin directory on the GPSr. If you send those to webmaster@GPSrChive.com we will forward them.
Sent, thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Anyone still seeing this issue with firmware 4.70 installed?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Overall the search seems to have been a little bit improved from version 4.70 and till now 5.00.
I am not getting any crashes like it could happen before (they were very rare), but i think the usage of "select map" is broken.
The more maps one has on the device or a SD-card, the slower the search, and it does not help to select "use map" to use an individual map, nor "use best maps".

It is reported to Garmin, and they are looking but it is hard to say if it will result in any proper ticket at their end. A suggestion given was that by default the search should be conducted within the active maps (the ones selected from Map setup -> configure maps), and in the search the following options should be present.
"Use active maps"
"Use best map", and later
each individual map.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I just did some testing with my GPSMAP 66s v500, with three pages of maps installed.

The initial results seemed to use only the maps I have enabled in Map Setup, and after choosing 'Select Map' and testing with several individual map options, including some OSM maps, TopoActive maps, CityNavigator maps, and others, the results seems to be as expected each time, and never took more than a few seconds to display each time.

I also tested with a GPSMAP 66sr v280 for 'comparison' and had similar results.

It is unclear to me what exactly is 'broken' here.

Unread post by 987 »

If you try with 12-15 maps instead, searching will be much slower.
On the device i use (66st) there are first the TopoActive europe one for NE one for SW and one DEM.
After that i have 2 self made maps of portions of europe (each 2.5-3.8 GB) covering partially the same areas as the TopoActive maps.
And after this 5 maps of opentopo-maps, happens to be the alps, germany, norway, poland and sweden. plus contours for each of them.
Alps and germany are about 1.5 GB each, norway and poland about 700 MB each, sweden a bit smaller. All the other maps are on a SD card.
Only 1-2 maps are active at any time, reason for having many maps is that is convenient.

When one has this many maps, the search is considerably slower, even if one first selects a specific map to use for the search.
If almost all maps are removed, and i leave only one of the self made maps on the SD card, plus the build in, search is acceptably fast.

Depending on where you live, you can try an equivalent amount of maps (countries or states) in an area 0 to 2000 kilometers away.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you please run JaVaWa Device Manager for the GPSMAP 66 + microSD card only and post a screen capture of the results (showing total maps and map segments).

Unread post by 987 »

if it makes anyone happier.
66st_internal.png
66st_sd_card.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”