GPSmap 76CSx Support?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 76 series GPSr
BIZNAWICH

GPSmap 76CSx Support?

Unread post by BIZNAWICH »

Hello folks. I'm new to the forum and thank you for having me.

I have a question concerning the GPSr model mentioned in the subject line...where did (or rather why did...) all the support go?

I have a perfectly functional 76csx and I cannot locate any even reasonably current maps for it, not even old ones. The maps I have don't even have the street where I now live listed in the database. Other units from that "era" are still enjoying at least some bit of support but not the76csx.

I have downloaded files from GPSDepot and such but none have an open street map (residential addresses) that will (supposedly) work on my unit.

Would anyone here have any ideas or suggestions other than scrapping it? I've seen these models selling on eBay and there's got to be a reason why...I can't imagine that all those selling them are hoping folks in general don't know that support is non-existent for the 76csx.

Thanks for listening, any help will be much appreciated.
Biznawich (Bruce Jennings)
Przekątny

Re: GPSmap 76CSx Support?

Unread post by Przekątny »

BIZNAWICH wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 am The maps I have don't even have the street where I now live listed in the database. Other units from that "era" are still enjoying at least some bit of support but not the76csx.

I have downloaded files from GPSDepot and such but none have an open street map (residential addresses) that will (supposedly) work on my unit.
Street name display control is in Setup- Map- Advanced Setup - Zoom Control - Street Label, turn on Auto.
Option names may vary on your device.
Przekątny

KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Keep the 76CSx! I still have one - and here's yet another place to get compatible maps:
Spoiler
Please provide a sample address for your locality so we can test.
BIZNAWICH

Unread post by BIZNAWICH »

Thank you for all the replies.

Another question please...

...is it easier than it first appears to open the routable maps on the OSM website and load them into Basecamp and then ultimately onto my 76csx, If it's doable at all...

...if it is doable I must be missing something (or I've been away from my GPS too long).

Thanks again,
Biznawich
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While we do not currently have a GPSmap 76 series to test with, the GPSmap 76CSx is intended to be used with Garmin MapSource software to manage device maps and data.

See also GPSrChive > How To... > Maps for some potentially useful information.
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

The 76CSx is basically the same as a 60CSx but with a different case that enables it to float. It is restricted to the old style map naming so the only map name that will work in the Garmin folder of the memory card is gmapsupp.img Use Garmin MapSource, not BaseCamp.
Przekątny

BIZNAWICH wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:17 am ...is it easier than it first appears to open the routable maps on the OSM website and load them into Basecamp and then ultimately onto my 76csx, If it's doable at all...
You can download maps in .img files to your device.

In .gmap files for Base Camp, the file should be copied to ProgramData - Garmin - Maps, copying the file is sufficient,
does not require installation. The map will be visible in Base Camp and MapSource. Send maps from Base Camp and rename the map file to gmapsupp.img. Maps installed for MapSource will be displayed in Base Camp.
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

To be precise: you can't put maps on this device, only on the SD card in the device (I would recommend to use a card reader for the SD card, it's much faster than the USB interface of the 76CSx). Also, strictly spoken BaseCamp cannot send maps anywhere, it uses MapInstall for that.
When you are using MapSource or MapInstall you don't need to rename files, these programs will save maps to a file named gmapsupp.img by default. MapInstall can write map files with different names, but only when it detects that the device supports them (MapSource will never use other names).

You can also download premade img files form various sources, in that case you have to check it has the right name (and rename it when necessary). Put the file in a folder named 'Garmin' on de SD card.

Also check the firmware version of the 76CSx. If it's too old, the file size is limited to 2 GB . The latest version is 4.00. Use 4 GB or 8 GB micro SD cards. Larger cards probably won't work.
My Garmin GPS collection: https://www.javawa.nl/collectie.html
Przekątny

Gpsmap 76csx supports cards formatted in FAT 32 file structure,
supports files over 2 GB and no larger than 4 GB after software update.

Mapinstall is an independent program from Base Camp,
maps can be sent without starting Base Camp, just run Mapinstall.

Return to “GPSMAP 76”