Geocache 'Found' file

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
dbrents

Geocache 'Found' file

Unread post by dbrents »

How can I manage the file that contains the Geocaches that have been marked 'Found'? I like to delete them and I'd like to see if there is other information such as the date they were logged as found. Can anyone help? I see very little in the GPSMAP User's manual on the Geocaching features unless I just didn't look hard enough.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache 'Found' file

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The logged geocache information is stored in geocache_visits.txt file found in the Garmin directory on your GPSMAP 64.

Editing this file can create issues with how your device stores and displays this information, so the best course of action is to simply rename this file when you want to archive the data inside, then copy it to a safe location for future reference.

The GPSr will simply rewrite a new file the next time you log another geocache.

Repeat as desired.

I personally append these files around New Years Eve with the year number, and have a collection of every geocache found with notes, dates and times in txt format for each year, for every device.
dbrents

Unread post by dbrents »

Thanks gpsrchive, So if I rename the current file it is effectively deleting the current file. But you're saying don't try to edit the current file e.g. delete records from the file, modify records etc.

And if I don't want the renamed file on my GPS I can copy to, say, my PC's HDD and then delete the renamed file and I'll be back to where I was when the GPS was new.

And with the current file effectively deleted, the GPS will create another file named geocache_visits.txt the next time I log a found, etc.

Is this type of information in a manual anywhere? I find the Garmin manual a little be less than completely helpful.
Last edited by dbrents on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sounds like you understand very clearly!

No, this information is not in any manual produced by Garmin.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”