Topo Active maps update

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
ivhs72

Topo Active maps update

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Just plugged in my 64sx and was told by Garmin Express that there is an update to the Topo Active maps. Going to do this later tonight since it's supposed to take 2 1/2 hours. Has anyone installed the update yet, curious to see how it went.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Topo Active maps update

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We have done multiple updates, none have taken that long for us, but like any large map, it is not a quick process. I like to connect the unit, go through all the prompts, then watch for a few minutes just in case there is another prompt I need to click before leaving it to do it's business for awhile....

Which TopoActive map is being updated, and what are your current and new version numbers? Which model GPSMAP 64x do you have?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

The map that was updated was TopoActive Americas, North and TopoActive Americas, Central. Both were put to version 2019.20. The Garmin DEM Map North America remained at 2019.10.

There is still a problem with everytime I turn the GPSr on, it takes almost 10 minutes to boot, since it is going back and updating all waypoints, etc.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

The other thing that worries me is that there is only 8gb of memory on the 64sx, and after the latest update, it shows only 496mb left. Hopefully they'll take that into consideration with future updates.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

At some point you will be required to add a microSD card to be able to download all map data.

Might want to go ahead and do that now, move all your unique data to it, and free up as much internal memory on the GPSr as possible.

That is how I like to run my Garmin GPSr.

Remember, high speed cards do you no good, basic and inexpensive microSD work best.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I've already added a 32gb SD card. That's where I keep my geocaches. The only thing on the GPSr is what it was shipped with it. It shows several disc image files, on that is 4.069gb, another that is 2.289gb. Several files were updated or added when the update was done. I'm hesitant to delete anything without verifying that it won't affect the performance.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I would strongly urge you to not delete anything you didn't put there! There are several maps that are part of the TopoActive setup. You need them all!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I've not deleted anything but the latest update took up most of the space on the device itself. I'll keep an eye on it when it updates again, hopefully it won't run out of space that it needs to update.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I just plugged my GPSr in today, and got a notice of new Topo Active Map Update for North America. Will be interested to see how much room I have, once it updates. After the last one, it left very little room on the device itself.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Let us know what version you end up with and how much space it uses, please!

Return to “GPSMAP 64”