"No geocaches found" bug

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
scotte

Re: "No geocaches found" bug

Unread post by scotte »

OK, Good deal. I spent some more time trying a few things in attempt to narrow down the problem. I didn't find exactly what triggers the problem, but perhaps the following data points will help.

I took my original 50 image KMZ, and manually recreated it with a smaller number of images (unzipping the container, then re-creating with a subset of the images and hand modified doc.kml with the included images). Here's what I found:

* 50 - able to reproduce the issue.
* 25 - issue does not occur.
* 30 - able to reproduce the issue.
* 29 - able to reproduce the issue.
* 28 - issue does not occur.

To see if it was the one image removed in the 28 image test case, I then rebuilt the KMZ without that one image (it contained the other 49). I was able to reproduce the issue, so it's not a particular image file.

Next up, I wanted to see if there was anything magic about 28 or 29 image KMZ files. I downloaded fresh KMZ from CalTOPO, trying files with 28, 28 (again), 29, and 30 images. With all of these KMZ files, the issue did not occur.

So, I think we can reasonably summarize:

* The issue is not limited to specific KMZ files, or images within.
* The issue is not limited to KMZ files with a certain number of images.

It might be related to overall KMZ file size, or something like that, but I did not test other cases.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: "No geocaches found" bug

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you!

We may want to see those other KMZ files if you still have them, please do not delete if you do.

I'll update here when I have more information.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”