GPSMAP 64s Not Updating to Firmware 6.10

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
luvvinbird

GPSMAP 64s Not Updating to Firmware 6.10

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Just curious. Today, Garmin Express alerted me that version 6.10 was now available for updating. I have two 64st units which updated to 6.10 but my 64s is still at version 5.60. Both Garmin Express and WebUpdater indicate that's the latest version for my 64s. Have others run into this? Regards.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 64s Not Updating to Firmware 6.10

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That firmware version has been in beta for a few weeks now. When Garmin publishes non-beta firmware updates, their servers are configured to send them out in 'batches.' It is entirely possible the unit ID for the 66s you have just isn't part of one of those 'batches' just yet. Give it a few days, and if you are still not seeing an update available for that unit this time next week, remind me.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Also, if you don't want to wait, and you updated the other 64st units with Garmin Express on a Windows PC...

Navigate to the "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\PrimaryFirmware\" directory and then find the folder with the correct firmware version for the GPSr you want the update file for.

The GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Firmware page shows "GPSMAP 64, 64s, 64st Firmware (B1859) Update History", so you will want the "PrimaryFirmware_PrimaryFirmware.006-B1859-00.6.10" folder.

Keep drilling down into that folder, one level after the next, until you find the 'GUPDATE.GCD' file.

Copy the 'GUPDATE.GCD' file to your GPSMAP 64s 'Garmin' directory and reboot the device.

Be very certain you are using the correct update file for the GPSr, as using the wrong file can brick the unit.

You can open the 'Garmin/GarminDevice.xml' file with a text editor to verify the correct firmware part number for most Garmin GPSr. Just look for this string in the first couple of lines: '<PartNumber>006-Bxxxx-00</PartNumber>'. The 'Bxxxx' will be the correct firmware part number.
luvvinbird

Thanks for your help. I'll keep my eye on it. I always like to check with the pros before I panic, lol.
luvvinbird

UPDATE: Version 6.10 just arrived for my 64s. Thank you for taking the time to explain about update 'batches', which was the case with this device. Regards.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Fantastic!

Return to “GPSMAP 64”