New eTrex Solar

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex Solar GPSr
Sibstr

Re: New eTrex Solar

Unread post by Sibstr »

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:17 pm A device that can run for 200 hours on a full battery charge, when used for a full 8 hours every single day, would require more than 34 years to reach 500 battery charge cycles, or 68 years to reach 1000 battery charge cycles.
Theory is a nice thing, but practice is unfortunately different...
All my cell phones died because the battery died and with GPS will be no different.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sibstr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:51 pm Theory is a nice thing, but practice is unfortunately different...
All my cell phones died because the battery died and with GPS will be no different.
However....

Cell phones are used far more heavily and intensively than a purpose built GPSr, are powered on 24 hrs a day, every single day, and most are recharged every day or two, completing the same 1000 battery charge cycles quoted earlier in less than three years time.

Stick to facts, skip the hysteria.
Dunnikin

Unread post by Dunnikin »

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:00 am Stick to facts, skip the hysteria.
As an EU citizen I‘m hopeful we (in the EU only?) get soon units with user-replaceable batteries. A battery lid with a Li battery behind is not a rocket science and user friendly. Like every digital camera. They use all a replaceable battery packs.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I suspect all of their global market devices will move in this direction. It would be cost prohibitive to make two of each model, one with and one without removable battery.
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:20 pm I do prefer removable batteries, like the Montana 7x0 and RINO series use. I hope the new EU laws will push Garmin in this direction for future worldwide products.
Good that we all agree here. :)
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:20 pm However, I do not subscribe to the mass hysteria that devices with non user replaceable batteries are not a viable option for the reasons described in previous posts.

For the devices with internal batteries, should an infinite loop occur, or should you want to simulate removal and installation of the battery pack for any reason, this can be achieved by holding the power button for >30 seconds.
This is doable for the case where you noticed the problem interactively (immediately). When you don't, your battery drains out and you need some kind of new power source, either a new battery to swap or a charger.

Ever wake up one day and notice that your cell phone's battery is at 5% because some app has drained it overnight? You may say I'm comparing cell phones which is a different product, but the problem is the same. If you don't notice the drain, you can't do anything to prevent it. The newer Garmins also allow third party apps don't they, increasing the amount of software that may have bugs.

People who want a removable battery sometimes intuitively ask from some experiences they've had. It may not be describable or even relevant to that particular domain (GPS receivers). They may be old, but wise about what they want from experience. :) There's no "hysteria". Your comments defending that there is no need for any of this appear a little aggressive on the flip side. Shake your head, and just think that people know what they want.. that there doesn't have to be one correct way always.
agentwayward

Unread post by agentwayward »

I didn't buy the Solar, I bought the SE (recently) because of the built in battery. I'm not into mass hysteria myself, but I am aware that built in lithium batteries can and do die. I've replaced numerous built in batteries in various devices for myself and others. It's never easy. There is often the potential to damage the case, especially if you are doing this before anyone else has made a video. Some cases cannot be disassembled without damage which must then be repaired.

I like to keep my devices for a long time. I'm not into buying the latest gadget. The SE model, with it's excellent battery life and replaceable batteries, should provide that possibility. Moreover, I can buy AA cells anywhere in the world, should I get caught out with no power.

Had the Solar been removable battery, I'd own one now.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

agentwayward wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am Had the Solar been removable battery, I'd own one now.
Why solar when you have no way to store energy? :)
This is contradictory to what you write.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

Garmin has rechargeable NiMH battery packs that can be used to store energy.
They can be replaced by normal AA's when necessary, the device will not try to recharge them (the battery pack presses a button in the battery compartiment to detect the difference).
My Garmin GPS collection: https://www.javawa.nl/collectie.html

Return to “eTrex Solar”