Unable to Delete Tracks on Foretrex 801

Discussion related to Garmin Foretrex 801/901 series GPSr models
omenlabs

Unable to Delete Tracks on Foretrex 801

Unread post by omenlabs »

I think I've found a small bug related to being unable to delete tracks. When I save a track on the Foretrex 801 using "TRACKS -> SAVE TRACK", it seems to create the track in two places. One is as a GPX file in the "GPX" directory. The other is as a .FIT file in "Activities" directory. When I delete a track on the device, it only deletes the one in the "GPX" directory, while the one in "Activities" remains. When using Basecamp on Macintosh (4.8.13), I see both the .FIT version and GPX version of my tracks. However, I when I attempt to delete the .FIT version, it remains on the Foretrex filesystem and reappears when I connect it again. Basecamp on Windows just seems to ignore whatever is in Activities, so everything seems normal there until you look at the Foretrex 801 filesystem. I've reported the issue to Garmin, but thought I'd make a note in case anyone else runs into tracks that can't be deleted on Macintosh Basecamp.
omenlabs

Re: Unable to Delete Tracks on Foretrex 801

Unread post by omenlabs »

It seems like this issue is still present on firmware 2.11.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

In Garmin hiking devices you can choose the recording format Track (GPX) or Activity (FIT) or recording in both formats, maybe Foretrex 801 lacks this selection.

In tourist devices, data saved in FIT files is available in the Activity History or from the Calendar application, data saved in the FIT format can be deleted from the Activity History application.

In Foretrex 801, display the Activity management option, there may be an option to delete data saved in the FIT format.

Data deletion is independent for each format.

Data saved in the FIT format can be deleted after connecting the device to a computer by deleting the data from the Activity directory.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

When deleting files from any directory on the device using a Mac, if the user does not empty the trash before ejecting the device, they will not be deleted.

Return to “Foretrex 801/901”