Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Przekątny

Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by Przekątny »

RickN55 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:34 pm That was the reply I got, so because on the graph the 67 and epix are recording the same line there's nothing wrong and the recording rate on the 67 is apparently to high. But they won't answer or know WHY the 67 is giving such over inflated figures on the Ascent and Descent.
I agree that the altitude chart line of Epix and 67 as well as the value of ascents and declines may be similar, the problem of inflated values of ascents and descents in 67 is not due to errors during registration.
Domi93CH

Unread post by Domi93CH »

I have spammed the problem and Garmin now has 6 open requests for this issue from me. I told you that you should make a recording with FW4.70, save it and then update the device to 6.60. Afterwards the values ​​are displayed incorrectly, but the elevation profile remains correct. We now need a little patience until they have recreated the problem internally. I think they will now discover the problem and report it to others.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

While I understand your frustrations here. The total ascent section is currently working as it should inline with our other units and by design. The situation here for you is more a problem with how this functions. Of which. While I understand how you would want this to work. Currently the only way to get the total ascent in line with the elevation readings over the route itself, is to set the elevation corrections for the device to on, on Garmin connect under the activity.  You can do this via the steps here

Otherwise at present the page is working as it should, adding all total elevation readings together which is how that tab works as it just adds all the given readings of elevation together to give a total. As well as this every time a gps pings it gives a elevation reading which causes those increased figures against say a known metric from a third party data source of the total elevation. 

I can only suggest providing your feedback via the link here as a feature request if you would not like to use the corrections option on the website. 

Got this reply today, so basically use elevation corrections to correct the elevation figure that the device should do itself, I replied back with I don't have to do this with any of my other Garmin devices etc so shows how poor the 67 is if they consider this as normal.
The 67 is literally a pile of junk, I will be selling mine the next time eBay has the 80% off selling fees on, I've had enough of it absolutely pointless device with all it's bugs that don't seem like they'll be sorted.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

RickN55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:24 pm As well as this every time a gps pings it gives a elevation reading which causes those increased figures against say a known metric from a third party data source of the total elevation. 
The GPS signal that reaches the device does not contain information about the altitude above sea level.
The GPS altitude is calculated in the device using a geometric method.

The second method - barometric altitude actually indicates the differences in atmospheric pressure caused by changes in altitude,
The barometric altimeter itself does not indicate the current altitude, it indicates the current pressure.
The current altitude should be assigned to the value of the current pressure - this action is called calibration.
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

The 67 is literally a pile of junk, I will be selling mine the next time eBay has the 80% off selling fees on, I've had enough of it absolutely pointless device with all it's bugs that don't seem like they'll be sorted.…..

I don’t find my 67i any worse than any other Garmin device for its age. Each new Garmin device is always the flagship device at that time, and always they are buggy. The part I don’t understand is why every Garmin device that comes out is always so buggy. After all this time you’d think the software would work right out of the box, I mean they all have the same features, with just a chipset or memory upgrade or a feature tweak here or there. Does that mean a total software rewrite? Maybe if you change a lot of hardware, or sensors etc. and they don’t work right, now you have to write software that can somehow mask or compensate for the hardware issues and why does it take months for a software update. Are they run by the government? :roll:
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

Navigatorman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:51 pm
The 67 is literally a pile of junk, I will be selling mine the next time eBay has the 80% off selling fees on, I've had enough of it absolutely pointless device with all it's bugs that don't seem like they'll be sorted.…..

I don’t find my 67i any worse than any other Garmin device for its age. Each new Garmin device is always the flagship device at that time, and always they are buggy. The part I don’t understand is why every Garmin device that comes out is always so buggy. After all this time you’d think the software would work right out of the box, I mean they all have the same features, with just a chipset or memory upgrade or a feature tweak here or there. Does that mean a total software rewrite? Maybe if you change a lot of hardware, or sensors etc. and they don’t work right, now you have to write software that can somehow mask or compensate for the hardware issues and why does it take months for a software update. Are they run by the government? :roll:
Garmin bring some absolutely brilliant stuff out and the best made stuff to most of the time, it's just their half arsed lazy ness with the software that ruins them. Like I said what's the point in the device if you've got to manually change the figures with elevation correction which is based on land surveys. Basically he was saying there, there is an issue by telling me to do that but won't accept it's an issue. I've been in contact a few times over this issue but don't seem to be getting anywhere as Garmin won't class it as an issue and it is perfectly normal according to them. Shame as the 67 is a great device for pin point accuracy and the elevation it shows you're at. It's just this issue with the ascent and descent on a walk that ruins it for me.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
Domi93CH

That's why I explained to support that they should record an activity (on FW4.70) and save it and then update the device to 6.60 and then check the rise/fall values. I also described my suspicion that the continuous calibration of the altimeter doesn't work at 4.80 (that's why the values ​​are sometimes too high because the air pressure changes).

To think about it: without continuous calibration, an approaching thunderstorm will be viewed by the gpsmap 67 as an “increase” because the pressure drops. When it is over, the air pressure rises again and a “descent” is considered.
Otherwise I have very precise totals after a day of skiing, the air pressure changes are of course much larger in proportion on distances of +-10m per day.

But since the descent/ascent values ​​have been displayed much higher for me since the FW6.60, I suspect that from 6.60 onwards the altimeter is continuously calibrated. but these corrections simply somehow flow into the data field and thereby cause the values ​​to be too high.

Therefore, my request to you again is to check whether the continuous calibration of the altimeter works for you (FW6.60). Simply set an altitude that is approx. 200m too high and see what happens to the altitude value and what the data fields say. Actually, these corrections should not be viewed as a decline/increase or at least must be subtracted from each other.
because you have to somehow filter out the fictitious descents/ascents that are caused by the change in air pressure. This is then continuously corrected with the satellite signal, but only very slowly if there is a small difference (keyword PID controller)
Domi93CH

Has anyone already checked what the altitude in the 7.60 indicates? Are they still too high?
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

According to this, apparently not..

*** Improperly Formatted Hyperlink Removed ***

Went on a 6 mile walk today. Didn't even bother with the 67, lost interest in it, just used the Epix, far more accurate and bug free..
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

This is the same issue as the ascent and descent values being exaggerated. Bug 30 is that the total ascent and descent data fields are recording values when there’s no activity recording active and when the device is configured to only record trip data when recording an activity.

Apparently nobody that participated in this thread has done a test for the ascent/descent values yet with 7.60.

Btw keep the discussion on moderation out of this topic please. If you're not happy with the rules take it up with the moderator or open a separate topic for discussion.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520

Return to “GPSMAP 67”