Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Przekątny

Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by Przekątny »

JungleJim wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:56 pm
I don't know how Total Ascent/Descent and Elevation are determined exactly, but what I observe is that when the Elevation field changes value (for example from 0m to 1m), the Total Ascent and Total Descent fields are also updated (plus 1m in this example). So the fact that elevation determined by the device fluctuates frequently even though the actual elevation I'm at stays the same, makes that Total Ascent and Descent values are exaggerated.
Notice that the height is an integer. The actual height may be 161.52 m, then the device displays a height of 162 m, with a minimum change in height of 161.48, the receiver will display 161 m, hence there may be variations of 0 - 1 m, similarly to the temperature display when using the Tempe™ sensor.

In statistics, the value of increases and decreases does not result from the data recorded by the device during activity.
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

I've noticed this issue, my local walk is mostly flat, my other Garmin device records around 50-70ft ascent and descent the 67 has been recording over 600feet on the same walk! I can be walking on the flat very slightly downhill and the ascent jumped up 35feet! This device is poor for how much it cost!
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:24 pm In statistics, the value of increases and decreases does not result from the data recorded by the device during activity.
I don't understand what you're saying here, can you please explain?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Przekątny

On the first page of this thread, I described the value of ascents and descents resulting from the recorded data in the gpx file provided by the dhg user.

"The ascents calculated based on the recorded data are 432 m and not 603 m as displayed in the track properties in Base Camp, the descents are 415 m and not 587 m as displayed."

It follows that the trace statistics shows higher values than are registered in the gpx file.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:14 pm On the first page of this thread, I described the value of ascents and descents resulting from the recorded data in the gpx file provided by the dhg user.

"The ascents calculated based on the recorded data are 432 m and not 603 m as displayed in the track properties in Base Camp, the descents are 415 m and not 587 m as displayed."

It follows that the trace statistics shows higher values than are registered in the gpx file.
Yes that's exactly the issue at hand here and what I and others are experiencing. Ascent/descent values calculated (and displayed) by the GPSMAP while an activity is in progress differ substantially from what can be calculated afterwards based on recorded elevation values as registered in the FIT or GPX file.

I guess it's a difficult problem to solve due to the coastline paradox but I think Garmin can do better!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Przekątny

JungleJim wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:06 pm I guess it's a difficult problem to solve due to the coastline paradox but I think Garmin can do better!
In other receivers it is even more fun, you can save, archive activity and get various activity parameters in every files.
The problem has not been resolved.
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

I haven’t tested the ascent/decent feature myself, but the rest of my 67i is pretty much working fine, this device is only now a year old. I’m sure there will still be more updates, but unfortunately all Garmin purchasers are beta testing for Garmin, and it’s always been that way.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please stay on topic, and remain constructive.

Posts not meeting these guidelines will be moved or removed.
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Out of interest is this issue with both the 67 and 67i? or just 67?
Meyer741

Unread post by Meyer741 »

I noticed,

When I turn on my 67 after days, it shows me the altitude at which I calibrated it days ago.
The calibration altitude is set at once.
The recording control is set to start automatically.

The device seems to adopt the altitude that I set days ago when the device is switched on.

If I set the calibration altitude to off, a different altitude appears when the device is switched on if the air pressure has changed when it is switched off.

My 66 behaves differently.
It shows me an incorrect altitude when switching on the device when the air pressure has changed when it is switched off.

The calibration altitude is set at once.
The recording control is set to start automatically.

Only when I use the Stop, Delete, Start recording control does it show me the altitude that I have previously set at this location.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”