Lack of elevation calibration in the receiver

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Przekątny

Re: Lack of elevation calibration in the receiver

Unread post by Przekątny »

JungleJim wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 pm But honestly I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work. Based on my experience with Auto Calibration set to Once, the device will calibrate the elevation to GPS elevation after having been turned on and getting a GNSS fix. So not after starting activity recording, but this may simply be an error in the manual (because default configuration is that recording automatically starts).
The altimeter is calibrated by turning on the track recording (when starting track recording).

After turning on the device:

Elevation GPS field----- (dashes).
Elevation field - value of the last calibration.
from the previous session (regardless of whether it was a manual calibration, or automatic.

After obtaining a full GPS signal:

Elevation GPS field - current GPS altitude.
Elevation field current GPS altitude.

After enabling recording:

If we do not perform manual calibration, automatic calibration based on GPS data will be used.
The Elevation GPS and Elevation fields will display similar values.

Before turning on recording, we will perform manual calibration:

Elevation GPS field - value based on the GPS signal.
Elevation field - value entered during manual calibration.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Przekątny wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm The altimeter is calibrated by turning on the track recording.

from the previous session (regardless of whether it was a manual calibration, or automatic.

Elevation field current GPS altitude.

If we do not perform manual calibration, automatic calibration based on GPS data will be used.

Not sure what you're trying to say here? I think you describe the same behavior as I did in my post?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

JungleJim wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 pm
But honestly I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work. Based on my experience with Auto Calibration set to Once, the device will calibrate the elevation to GPS elevation after having been turned on and getting a GNSS fix. So not after starting activity recording, but this may simply be an error in the manual (because default configuration is that recording automatically starts).
Thank you for the tests you conducted.
I would like to capture this logical (or magical) moment of calibration. Maybe the difference is too big and the device can't cope. However, I talked to a user of the Garmin Oregon series and for him the magic "0m" changes to the correct altitude according to the instructions. He decided that my 67 receiver was defective. Only I have a 66SR and the same behavior occurs there.
Przekątny wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm The altimeter is calibrated by turning on the track recording.

Elevation field current GPS altitude. I still have "0m" here instead of the current "Elevation GPS"

GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Nail wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:33 pm Maybe the difference is too big and the device can't cope.
I don't think that the reason may be that the receiver is not coping well, at this stage the value in the Elevation field is displayed on the basis of transfer of "rewriting" the altitude value from manual calibration data or GPS Elevation values, the altimeter does not work here. The altimeter calibration will take place when the start of the activity of the activity.

The device may have difficulty calibrating from 0 m above sea level to200 m above sea level or 100 m above sea level with activity recording turned on and the Calobration Continuous setting, this process depends on the altimete.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

JungleJim wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 pm
But honestly I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work.
It should work as described in the manual. Since the update to 8.50 it works properly according to the instructions. So what you and I saw could be entered as a "bug" in FV 8.30 or earlier versions. It's a pity that few people wanted to investigate this issue.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr

Return to “GPSMAP 67”