All Garmin data Location on disk

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
Landyman130

All Garmin data Location on disk

Unread post by Landyman130 »

I have only recently discovered this Forum and found it very useful. Thank you to all.

I bought my first GPSr in July 1996, a Garmin GPS-75, with PCX5 software. My third in 2004, was the SP2610, when I started to use MapSource. I transferred all my PCX5 data and my Psion Palmtop data, to MapSource. When BC was introduced, I evaluated it and rejected it.

In August 2011, I became ill and all travelling stopped. I am now sorting out my GPS and mapping files that were on a second-hand Panasonic CF-19 running Windows XP. My home PC runs W7 Pro and a recent purchase to replace my CF-19 is a Surface Pro 4 running W10 Pro.

With the help from this Forum, I've learnt that BC is the way forward and I've been setting up BC on my home PC. But like so many other programs, it dumps it's data in C:\Users all over the place, with no logical order! I organise all my computer data in a properly organised style, backed-up/synchronised across all my PCs and external backup USB drives using ViceVersa Pro.

So I want to relocate the BC data. I have read the 'AllData.gdb file' topic, but this only covers the files in ...\4.6.

Can I relocate all the folders under ...\AppData\Roaming\BaseCamp\... to my chosen location. If yes, how do I get BC to know that location?

Having setup my home PC, will I experience any problems copying files (including Nuvi map updates) from the home PC, to the SP4?

Regards,

Alan
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: All Garmin data Location on disk

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Under Edit > Options > General > Database Options, you can choose an existing database or create new databases.

I have multiple databases under C:\BaseCamp DB\ on my machine.

Create a similar folder where you want it, then create a new Database there from within BaseCamp, then import all the data you want in that database.

Later, you can backup this directory to other machines or drives as desired for archival purposes.
Landyman130

Re: All Garmin data Location on disk

Unread post by Landyman130 »

Many thanks.

Using Windows Explorer, I made a new folder and copied the original Database folder to my new wanted location.

In BaseCamp I changed the database option as advised. On re-loading BC an error about losing data flashed on the screen and I guess the missing data was restored.

Later inspection of the original and new locations, indicated that no data was missing.

It appears that a main feature of MapSource has been lost, as multiple instances of BC wont load.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”