Lock On Road issue

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
Plato

Lock On Road issue

Unread post by Plato »

My main use of the Oregon is hiking with a Topo map and since I want to know my exact location in the field the 'Lock On Road' setting in the Routing setup is always turned Off. I only use one profile: Hiking

Occasionally I want the 700 to calculate the shortest route to a certain point and I will follow that route. I don't switch profiles so I stay in my Hiking profile.
The 700 always turns On 'Lock On Road' automatically when it is autorouting and I can understand that. The problem however is this: after stopping the navigation the Oregon doesn't turn 'Lock On Road' Off again, only after a restart it's turned Off again or I have to do it manually.

There have been situations (before I discoverd this) that I was hiking a wrong trail for a while because the 700 kept the Location Pointer on the wrong trail for minutes, this typically happens when a trail splits in two but don't diverge a lot for a while.

I realise that using a different profile for autorouting would avoid my problem but it takes more time and it's very convenient to do a short route calculation immediately in the current profile.

Request to Garmin: Please turn 'Lock On Road' Off again after stopping autorouting if the initial setting was Off.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Lock On Road issue

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I suspect Firmware 3.62 BETA may resolve your issue. If you like, you can download it from the FIRMWARE page and test it. If you do, please let us know if your issue has been resolved. Thank You!
Plato

Unread post by Plato »

Thank you for this new Beta firmware. I installed it and checked the 'Lock On Road' issue, it seems to be solved :D .
Whether I walk or navigate, my 'Lock On Road' setting (OFF) is now respected and not overwritten anymore. I tested both with OSM Topo (Freizeitkarte) and City Navigator.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for the update!

BTW, what firmware version were you using when you first noticed the issue?
Plato

Unread post by Plato »

I discovered the issue with v3.30 but it is very well possible that it has been there in earlier versions too.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”