Unable to delete TWO geocaches??

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
stantastic

Unable to delete TWO geocaches??

Unread post by stantastic »

In my normal procedure using GSAK I will download a geocache database using the GarminExport macro and choosing the GGZ option. When the day is over and I'm done with that database and after I've loaded my find list into GSAK for publishing I will go into the GPS in Mass Storage Mode, delete the .GGZ file in question, along with all the extraneous POI's that I loaded as well (parking, trailheads, etc.). That process worked on my 650 for years, and it's worked on my new 750 for months.

But for some reason now I still have TWO caches that constantly show up in my Geocaches list that I can't get rid of. They are NOT waypoints -- they are entered as caches (figured if they were in there as a waypoint I could just use the waypoint manager and delete them). The .GGZ file and all POI files have been removed. All logs have been removed. All photos have been removed. I've checked the Current.gpx file and they aren't in there.

Any suggestions WHERE to find those two so I can throw them away. I think I've looked everywhere -- even on the microSD card that I use for maps. Any other process anyone can think of to find and delete them, short of resetting the entire GPS back to factory defaults (and I'm not even sure that will work, either)?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unable to delete TWO geocaches??

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Does clearing live data remove them?
stantastic

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:22 am Does clearing live data remove them?
What do you mean by "live data"? Normally all geocaches are stored in either a .ggz file (in the GGZ folder) or a .gpx file (in the GPX folder). Since after the Map 60CSx series, caches and waypoints are not treated the same. You can delete waypoints manually, but not geocaches. -- they have to be removed by deleting the .ggz file or the .gpx file while the GPS is in Mass Storage Mode.

So when you say "live data" -- where exactly are you suggesting I look? The GGZ folder is empty. The GPX folder contains three folders named "Archive," "Current," and "Nav" and the two caches in question don't appear in any of the files within those folders.
stantastic

Okay, answered my own question -- actually, found what you were talking about. "Live data" is the NEW feature of the Oregon 7xx series, and I found the "Live Data" FILE -- was able to delete it and those two caches disappeared. THANKS!! I'll remember that next time (if there is a next time!) ;-)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Not sure what 'file' you found and deleted?

GC Live data is removed directly on the GPSR in: Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Remove Live Data
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

stantastic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 am Okay, answered my own question -- actually, found what you were talking about. "Live data" is the NEW feature of the Oregon 7xx series, and I found the "Live Data" FILE -- was able to delete it and those two caches disappeared. THANKS!! I'll remember that next time (if there is a next time!) ;-)
Garmin Live Geocaching is a nice feature to use once paired to your smartphone. While you're deleting live data you might consider turning OFF "Auto Upload Logs" otherwise each found cache will have "Submitted via Garmin Live Geocaching" as it's log. Or, maybe you would like to have that, lol.
stantastic

Sorry, yes -- I didn't delete a "Live Data" file directly, but thru Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Remove Live Data. Wrote that incorrectly, but the result was what I wanted.

And yes, I accidentally discovered the "Auto Update Logs" option some time ago when I wrote myself a comment when I found a cache and then discovered it had been sent to gc.com. Not good that time, since it was a puzzle cache and I gave away some important info that I wasn't aware would be posted. Once I got home and found it already on my log, I deleted it immediately -- and turned OFF that option on the GPS.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”